Good website for screws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
As title says, looking for a good cheap supplier of screws. Where do you guys get yours from? I usually pick mine up from local Ironmongers but if I can get them cheaper online I will do.

Ta!

Sorry I'm a screw snob and say Reisser Cutters. If you are a trade you can open a Howdens cash or credit account and they do price match on these screws. Also iron mongery direct do them on a mail order basis... I've used cheap screws before and have found they start distorting with friction heat when winding in. No problem for the ones I have mentioned.

Agree totally with the above, definitely Toolstation or Screwfix. Toolstation usually deliver FREE next day for orders over a tenner. I think you have to spend £50 for the same service from Screwfix. never had any problems with the screws from either.

bluenose":lz8u3ubt said:
Agree totally with the above, definitely Toolstation or Screwfix. Toolstation usually deliver FREE next day for orders over a tenner. I think you have to spend £50 for the same service from Screwfix. never had any problems with the screws from either.

I have with screwfix ones. A few years mind I ran out on site and screwfix being closer I got some more from there and found there cheapo ones (single thread standard as I normally get from TS) liked snapping under the force of my impact driver, a problem I rearly have with TS screws which is why I only by screws from there now.

Howdens, fed up of them. I have an account yet have never brought anything, always found them overpriced (didn't know about the price match), far out my way and as I make cabinets I have never needed there kitchens. I am fed up of getting promotional material from them every week and texts (although I did reply stop to them).

Hudson Carpentry":6rvbq991 said:
bluenose":6rvbq991 said:

I have with screwfix ones. A few years mind I ran out on site and screwfix being closer I got some more from there and found there cheapo ones (single thread standard as I normally get from TS) liked snapping under the force of my impact driver, a problem I rearly have with TS screws which is why I only by screws from there now.

Howdens, fed up of them. I have an account yet have never brought anything, always found them overpriced (didn't know about the price match), far out my way and as I make cabinets I have never needed there kitchens. I am fed up of getting promotional material from them every week and texts (although I did reply stop to them).

Always over priced? How do you know that if you have never bought anything from there? The prices in the price guide is usually a guide and if you speak to the guys who work there there is always room for a bigger discount.

I have a workshop but not all customers want something that is custom made so there comes the need of using a supplier that will provide something cheaper than you or I can make it for.

Anyway back onto the subject of SCREWS :D. Once I tried reissers I never went back.

Stormer1940":1e9cr00u said:
Hudson Carpentry":1e9cr00u said:
bluenose":1e9cr00u said:

Always over priced? How do you know that if you have never bought anything from there? The prices in the price guide is usually a guide and if you speak to the guys who work there there is always room for a bigger discount.

I have a workshop but not all customers want something that is custom made so there comes the need of using a supplier that will provide something cheaper than you or I can make it for.

Anyway back onto the subject of SCREWS :D. Once I tried reissers I never went back.

When I checked there price, it was higher then others I have seen elsewhere :?
I only take on bespoke work so have no need for pre-built units, my local branch isn't local :roll: so even if I needed a couple of bits and they would discount, I would spend more on the fuel then the discount value and going to my local supplier or using the net.

I had once got a quote off them I was happy with. It was for a load of doors but I didn't want to do the job anyway, I don't really hang doors anymore and this customer seemed like trouble so I over priced in hope he wouldn't accept.

I have used reisser and have a box or two in the shop, yes there a nice screw to use but for me there not worth the extra few quid nor with the amount of screws I use would I benefit from there speed. With fine furniture I like to be in control of the pilot and the countersink. I don't do site work anymore and they would benefit on site I would say but as I now only do furniture there not worth it for me.

Saying that even on site I always brought the single thread screws as I never seen a huge benefit. Impact driver put what ever size screw into the wood without an argument anyway :lol: (other then screwfix at the time).

Hudson Carpentry":mu7sb2x2 said:
bluenose":mu7sb2x2 said:

+1 Though you may have a Screwfix outlet nearby - if so, no min order.

Hudson Carpentry":mu7sb2x2 said:

Too true - though at our Howdens they are good enough to employ 3, (yes, 3), young, large chested flirty females =D>

I like Reissers too, for general DIY/framing work. I find most of the double-start ones are too aggressive for other things, and some of them (NOT Reissers) drive well but can work loose later. Single start for house door hinges, definitely. The Spax equivalent are rubbish, IMHO, but I know loads of people disagree otherwise they wouldn't sell 'em. I do find boxes of Spax screws seem to last for ages though :-(

I tried the Paslode Torx-headed ones recently, and TBH they may even beat Reissers for quality. That said, the Torx head is a bit of a PITA - you need a proper bit holder, as the cheapo magnetic ones leave the bit behind in the screw. They self-countersink nicely in softwood and have small neat heads (proportionately), and I like them.

Both the above from Toolstation.

I buy, but don't really rate, their 'cooking quality' screws though. The metal quality varies - sometimes it's cheese - and I've had the heads snap on some of the longer ones, which is infuriating. They're not expensive though.

I think their 'own brand' range was better quality before Travis Perkins (Wickes) bought them, and they've dramatically cut back on the range of stock they hold now, so much so that I can't one-stop-shop there any more. Screwfix often has the stock, but it's as expensive as B+Q now (i.e. stupidly so), and service is usually very slow.

I'm actively seeking out independent fastening suppliers now. Happily we have a few good ones in the city, although my favourite (T.E.Stone) is central and a bit of a pain to get to now as our council is anti-vehicle.

E. (domestic/hobby user)

LBCarpentry":2h9wf373 said:
As title says, looking for a good cheap supplier of screws. Where do you guys get yours from? I usually pick mine up from local Ironmongers but if I can get them cheaper online I will do.

Ta!

Last screws I bought were on T'Bay, though before that I used to go to an Auto Jumble near York, lots of traders selling all sorts, including screws at good prices.

The goldscrews from screwfix do snap at the heads, the goldscrew plus are alot better! But they do leave alot of metal depost in the hole should you unscrew them.

I have used allsorts and get on well with wurth wupo fast they dont snap as easily as they have a soft core. So decent driver bit required.

Got to be honest i dont think much to self countersinking screws. They reduct the pullup force and are messy should you have to remove them.

I use Reiser R2 Woodscrews and get them from Howden when I purchase cabinets, and of course as long as colour does not matter. The multi box they come in is handy for carrying about jobs and they last a bit before needing refill. They get a good grip on plugs and never had one snap on me or head wasting either for that matter.

I do buy others depending on finish, material dependant or job but for general fixing the above Reiser is a good bet. I replace the screw packs supplied with products with Reiser, due to thread and good points which cheap alternatives supplied by manufacturers these day do not and heads busting off when you finally tighten up.

I have used twin threads and countersinking cutting head screws and for particualr jobs I had no issue either. I am always open to new products that serve a niche or particular function and if they fail you do not re-use. But you get what you pay for and screws are fine example.

The worst are Thorsman. I must have had around 3 head snap on me when screwing up one window a while back

Just to reguergitate (?) this thread instead of starting a new one...

Been looking at some pretty snazzy screws lately (how sad does that sound) and have come across HECO screws from Germany as well as GRK's in the states. Both look real nice and in torx also.

The Heco's are hella pricey but you can get good deals on GRK's. Both are still way above what i'm willing to pay for screws though!

Back to the old decision......

Reisser or spax.

Oh, and i'm going torx from here on in......wish me luck!

LBCarpentry":7ad8auc0 said:
Both are still way above what i'm willing to pay for screws though!

You don't need many to snap off, before you've burned away any savings in trying to get the so-and-sos out again.

Reisser, for most DIY things, for me. The others simply aren't worth the hassle.

Cheers,

E.

PS: I was somewhat upset to notice that the weather seems to have destroyed the capped stainless pins used to hold our uPVC barge/fascia boards to the softwood behind. That's an urgent job to fix (if I can), because water will now get in and damage the fixings (and they can blow about in the breeze too. On all the ones on the south of the house the white plastic caps have gone, leaving the pins and loose plastics :-(

Back