Good timber for bench slats?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinLycett

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to replace some rotten bench slats. It's a metal cast iron affair, pseudo victorian. The slats bolt into the cast iron end frames and are otherwise unsupported. They are approx 5 ft /1.5 long. Any suggestions for a readily available not expensive timber that can support weigth of two people and resist our lovely english weather for more than a couple of years (I plan to treat with tung oil)? Thanks. (I have some ash I could make into slats but think I read it rots easily?)

Oak is the easiest available and cheap option. Cedar is less strong but smells nicer. Chestnut lasts well outside but is harder to get ahold of

I did exactly what you’re doing, but it was a few years ago now. Getting the right bolts was the problem for me at the time. I seem to remember I used Iroko, a cheaper teak substitute. Ian

I've a chair to do. Standard cast bench ends, but shorter timber so its a chair.

I was going to use Afrormosia. Basically as I've a bunch of it from a reclaimed old bar top. 38mm thick.
I'll either opt for stainless bolts/nuts or maybe bronze, depending on what they cost and their availability. Stainless will probably be just as good but if the price is right...

Those bench ends often come up for sale, £200 bench goes for £10 because £30 of wood needs replacing, I’m not complaining. However most of the “cast iron” benches are aluminium and the “wrought iron” is mild steel, but occasionally they are what they say they are.

I brought a Broxap “century” bench from a scrap dealer for £25, took off the old painted Iroko slats that were a bit rotted and fitted new cedar slats. As it was 2m long before I had to cut down the steel tie rods and re-thread them, I think the cedar I needed was £30 and the brass dome nuts I wanted for the ends were £20, (because plastic caps are just a bit too council). Those benches are £780 upwards new so it can be a good investment of time.

Creeping round a deserted scrap yard one Saturday morning I was concerned I was going to meet the resident Rottweiler on unfavourable terms though, thankfully didn’t.

I recently bought from Balau decking pretty cheaply to make some chairs from edecks. I figure if its durable enough for decks it durable enough for an outdoor chair.
Hardwood Decking | Shop Hardwood Decking Boards | eDecks

Annoyingly the 90mm width smooth was grooved on one side so i've had to run it all through the table saw (as i dont have a planer ticknesser) to cut the grooves off. I also bought some of the 145mm width and thats smooth on both sides.

Seems like good wood, but when you have a sharp edge it splinters really easily so wear gloves and sand and oil it all before sitting on it.

Another vote for iroko Old science lab bench tops are an excellent source. Often big planks joined with plywood loose tenons. I have some that have been out doors for more than 8 years treated with a cosmetic coat of sadolin.
Not a pleasant timber to work with- deadly dust and brittle splinters that cause local inflammation and turnip grain that suddenly stops or changes direction but very durable

Would Siberian Larch work?

I hope so, I've just bought s couple of Adirondack chairs made of the stuff.

Back