Good suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hello :). i'm hoping someone could tell me of a good place to get carpenters glue? i spent the day going round a number of tools shops, but as i was busy with the machinery i totally forgot to look for glue.
where do most folk on here get their glue and dispensers from? i've had a look through the list of websites on here....................but i'd just like to get individuals opinions.
whats your favourite website for ALL YOUR WOODWORKING NEEDS??? :D.

thanks in advance.

Kenny.

Most use PVA glue that you can get in any of the diy sheds.
Evostick being the most common (and expensive)
For different types of wood glue you should try a smaller shop or a timberyard with a shop attached.

thanks................its evostick i use at the minute, but i'm looking for some other alternatives.

kenny.

I use a number of different brands.
They are all cheaper than evostick.
Humbrol pva works well and is a lot cheaper, coming in larger bottles.
Waterproof glue is needed for outside projects.
Many swear by certain brands and others (like me) use whatever is in the woodyard shop.

can you recommend some suppliers for the likes of humbrol and others?

Kenny.

Kenny..

I usually work with waterproof evil-stink.. to date its never let me down... For application, I usually squirt some into an the top from an aerosol can and apply the glue with an old paintbrush...

As for web sites... plain truth is there's no real "one stop shop" covering each and every one of your heart's desires... but Axminster's site comes about as close as I've seen... For just about everything else..... there's Chris... ;)

I am quite impressed with Screwfix's own brand PVA and waterproof PVA, and especially with their polyurethane wood glue.

They are inexpensive compared with other brands, but I should wait until Screwfix have resolved their current difficulties before ordering any, or goodness knows what they will send you, or when you will get it!

Taffy,

Same here with the PVA. And 'cos it's fairly cheap I have no qualms about being ruthless about old bottles and chucking them out if they've been hanging around too long. Not that I actually do though; I use the old stuff to seal the ends of turning blanks. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1hsqufor said:
I use the old stuff to seal the ends of turning blanks.
Cheers, Alf

Great, so we can expect to see plenty of things appear in the gallery shortly then? :lol:

Adam

asleitch":1q4puxkf said:
Great, so we can expect to see plenty of things appear in the gallery shortly then? :lol:
I wouldn't say shortly exactly. What's the rule of thumb? 1 year per inch of thickness...? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":mfpowgkn said:
asleitch":mfpowgkn said:
I wouldn't say shortly exactly. What's the rule of thumb? 1 year per inch of thickness...? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

As well all know, wet wood turns better. :lol:

Adam

Alf":3fdc5f3v said:
Ah, but not for chisel handles. :p

Yeah but chisel handles are easy to make with from any of the small scraps you rustle up as a result of making bits of furniture - whereas large chucks need to get on that wheel!

Looking forward to that gallery.

Adam

Hell's teeth, but you're a persistent blighter. :roll: As it happens they aren't large chunks, but large enough, and fresh enough, to be no good as yet for the purpose I intend to put them to. Viz: tool handles. I don't do bowls, vases or other ephemera. I'm not a real turner, remember. :p

Plus my workshop time is almost exclusively research time at the moment, rather than actual making time. (And no, it won't be ending up in the gallery, although at a pinch I might be able to find a pile of shavings to take a picture of if you're really keen...) :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Come to think of it, I think the workbench, and the music stand were the last non-ferous items I saw out of ALF towers, anything else in the pipeline?

Adam

Alf":1yhi0ilx said:
Taffy,

Same here with the PVA. And 'cos it's fairly cheap I have no qualms about being ruthless about old bottles and chucking them out if they've been hanging around too long. Not that I actually do though; I use the old stuff to seal the ends of turning blanks. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Now that is a very good idea - I wish I had thought of it! I don't have to now though - you already have. :?

I shall get to work sealing the ends of the large pile of marbled and spalted yew branches currently lurking under my bench (together with some spiders the size of horses!!!) :shock:

Asleitch - wet wood is ony really any good for turning thin walled bowls. Anything else just splits or distorts as the wood dries out. Also, it makes a hell of a mess on the lathe, wall, worshop ceiling, unfortunate turner etc..... :cry:

asleitch":3jvkw4w7 said:
Come to think of it, I think the workbench, and the music stand were the last non-ferous items I saw out of ALF towers, anything else in the pipeline?
Workbench? Workbench?! Where? Drawers under the workbench maybe. That was, er, some time ago. In fact I really need the 'puter to go Phttt again; I get much more done when I'm not on here. :oops: The last "proper" thing* was a belated birthday present for a friend - yikes, that was back in July and it's October tomorrow :shock: I've had two summers in a row now where I've simply got nothing made at all. Sigh. Generally I manage to struggle into the workshop in October to make my dad something for his birthday, so you never know...

Now give me a break. Have you any idea how difficult it is to get anything done when you have space in your workshop? You're so busy wondering which bit of the floor to stand on you never even start. :p

BTW, wasn't there a topic round here somewhere? Sorry, Kenny. :(

Cheers, Alf

*Yes, I know it's just a box - I can clutch at straws to Olympic standard...

Back