Good service from the old tool shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_hanna

Established Member
Reaction score
I was impressed with some recent service from the Old Tool Shed, one of the firms linked to by this site (and by the Royal Mail service as well)
I ordered a Record 044 plough plane last Friday morning and received it on Saturday afternoon.

Given the horror stories on this forum and elsewhere on the internet about antique tools being sold with missing parts it was nice to find that the plane was exactly as described. I had a cutter sharpened and was cutting grooves on Saturday night.

My first antique plane, should I seek help for my addiction now ? :D

Jim

Great to hear good stories, the whole world seems overly keen to criticise and then clams up when praise is due.

With regards the plane, yes definately seek profesional help now, the slope is nearly vertical from now on :D

James

That's interesting, I thought - another old tool supplier that I hadn't heard of. I hadn't noticed any links to them, but they were not hard to find.

Their range looks interesting, and the prices reasonable, but as far as I could see from the website, there is no address or phone number, just a vague statement that they are 'near Diss'.

That's not how e-commerce sites are supposed to be - so if they really are a good supplier (and I'm not suggesting that they aren't) I hope they read this and get their website sorted out.

Tsk, Andy - you're obviously not looking at the right list. :wink: Funnily enough I did suggest to the website owner that people prefer to know where they're sending their money, which I thought he'd taken on board.

jim_hanna":3jjl29vb said:
Given the horror stories on this forum and elsewhere on the internet about antique tools being sold with missing parts it was nice to find that the plane was exactly as described.
Not exactly horror stories - more words of caution. Some of them have been knocking about for 100 years and more, and things get lost.

Alf":vhntqqpl said:
Tsk, Andy - you're obviously not looking at the right list

Shame on me Alf - I have indeed looked at that list several times, but had somehow not explored this one.
I shall try and put that right by planning our summer trip to St Ives to accidentally stop for refreshments by one or two of the others that you mention.

Back