Good quality hardware/ironmongery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noho12C

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have few projects ongoing for which I would need some basic hardware : butt hinges, screws, handles (for a box to carry)

I've spent some time on internet and cannot seem to find some "middle ground", ie correct quality at a decent price. It's either Screwfix and the likes (cheap but poor quality) or overpriced niches stuff.

For good quality hinges at decent price I usually get simonwerks from isaaclord, but that's all I can find.

Also, it seems impossible to get slotted steel/iron screws nowadays. Torx are fine for shop furniture, but that's about it.

If anyone has a good supplier....

Chris

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

ironmongery direct carries a vast range from cheap and cheerful to eye watering. Watch the delivery prices, though.

Screwsline is worth a go for screws — can’t post links yet but you’ll find it from that on a search engine.

jvc26":1nobb0n3 said:
Screwsline is worth a go for screws — can’t post links yet but you’ll find it from that on a search engine.
Looks good indeed !! Seems to be some old stock. Might give it a try for some steel screws :)

Thanks !

They have some choice, that's true, but the quality is often so-so.

Missing those old days hardware store where choice was limited but the sales person was usually very knowledgeable and if didn't have the parts needed in stock would order them.

RogerS":17q412ml said:
MikeG.":17q412ml said:
ironmongery direct carries a vast range from cheap and cheerful to eye watering. Watch the delivery prices, though.

But ditch the screws that come with them.
Indeed. I gave a poor review because of the state of the supplied fixings, - strangely enough it never got published!

I don't understand why Axminster doesn't sell some common and basic hardware for furniture making : slotted screws, hinges, escutcheon, etc.
I mentioned that in one of their surveys, but never got a feedback.

I used to get asked in my off licence (which unusually in those day opened in the evenings) why I didn't sell cat food. I always said because I'd then be expected to sell dog food. Then budgie seed. Then goldfish food ... mission creep. :D

phil.p":2e2wejo0 said:
I used to get asked in my off licence (which unusually in those day opened in the evenings) why I didn't sell cat food. I always said because I'd then be expected to sell dog food. Then budgie seed. Then goldfish food ... mission creep. :D

That's how Amazon started - except in their case it was books first. Mind you, you'd have a job getting their stock into a corner shop in Redruth - and you couldn't get away with their tax policy, either!

Well, they already sell screws and plasterboard fixings, so why not good quality screws and hinges ?

For example, Lee valley has a very good selection of hardware. I don't see why Axminster couldn't do the same. To me it would make sense.

I use HE Savill and Marches for decent quality brassware. As for slotted steel screws, now-a-days they're rarer than hens teeth - Rob

If you ever go into Lee Valley in Canada, their flagship store is, well, rubbish. Not a patch on an Axminster store, so whilst they have an extensive range in the catalogue, you can still only go to their store and make a request for them to get something in or look at the limited range available there.

Given that, unless someone’s holding ready stock, they’re going to have to compete against everyone else on the internet, so that’s perhaps why Axminster don’t?

Never been to a Lee valley store. I just know they offer a wide range online or via their catalog.

I don't say Axminster should have in store all available hardware one can think of. I just think it would be great to have, even only online (where I do most of my purchases to them), a selection of common hardware used in furniture making.

Back