Good news!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, you want more than that do you? Oh alright.

I've been wanting to get back to doing some filming for ages, but there has always been an excuse not to get round to it. I have a new camera, radio mic, computer and software, so there is a lot to learn about.

Also, I need to make sure that my production standards are more in keeping with what is expected today. Ten years ago nobody expected TV quality from a YT video, today, anything less than that is not acceptable. So yes, lots to learn.

I've decided to start by re-filming the very first thing I ever recorded, my Square of Thales gadget thingy. I've posted about on here before. So I've been filming clips, changing lighting, mic positions, the position of my workbench etc, etc, etc,
and sending them off to Eric the Viking, who is very generously putting me right, (he has professional expertise, especially when it comes to audio).

A couple of days ago I was filming, when I heard a fizzing noise from one of the lights. It is hung from the ceiling just behind me, and before I could switch it off, I had sparks raining down. Well it burned itself out in a second or two, and so I dismantled it. One of the ceramic holders (they are halogen bulbs) had fractured in two, the bulb end was no longer making a good connection, arcing, sparking - you get the picture.

So I took it apart, cannibalised an old outside light for the ceramic end and rebuilt it, all new cable connections. So far so good.

Today I was talking to my viewer when there was an enormous bang and all the lights went out. I say all the lights, but in fact it wasn't pitch black, there was an orange glow above me. The light was on fire. Proper flames and all that.

So I opened the door so I could see what was going on. Rather than the flames dying down, they were getting stronger, so I decided that it was time to intervene. I have a fire extinguisher behind my bench, so I grabbed it and tried to operate it. There is a safety pin, but I couldn't pull it out. The safety pin has a safety plug on the end of it! So once I'd figured that out, I removed the safety pin safety plug, then the safety pin and gave the light a blast.

It was only about half a second, but it was enough. The trouble is, the FE is a dry powder one, and it doesn't half make a mess. Goodness knows what it would be like if I had to put out a proper inferno.

So, conflagration averted, but with the air akin to a Victorian London murder mystery, I set about cleaning up. I have a Microclean air filter that I never use and had been thinking of selling, but not after this, it's been great at helping to clear the air.

Here are some pics.
When I took down the light I was pleasantly surprised to see that it appeared to be intact.
IMG_20181016_160750596_HDR.jpg

Even the (brand new) bulb didn't look to be damaged, just dusty from the FE.
IMG_20181016_160856240_HDR.jpg

But on removing the parabola, it looked a bit more ugly.
IMG_20181016_161115118_HDR.jpg

But just a mo. The lampholder looks fine, there is no scorching at the ends, where I would expect. The problem is where the mains cable comes into the redhead. Maybe I clamped it too tight, I don't know, but it looks like the insulation has failed, it has shorted and caught fire. This is the section of cable:

IMG_20181016_164730823_HDR.jpg

So I've rebuilt it using a length of cable from an electric iron, I've changed the way it was earthed, so that there is a lot less cable in the body of the lamp and put in a lower wattage bulb.

So, let's hope this is going to be third time lucky.

PS Although it's been on my TUIT list for yonks I am going to go and splash the cash for a CO2 extinguisher. Expensive by comparison, yes, but nowhere near as messy.

Attachments

• IMG_20181016_160750596_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181016_160750596_HDR.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_20181016_160856240_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181016_160856240_HDR.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_20181016_161115118_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181016_161115118_HDR.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_20181016_164730823_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181016_164730823_HDR.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 601
that looks like a near miss not wanting repeating
I have 2 co2 FE in my workshop
I just know I will need them one day

my biggest fear is a hot "chip" in my extractor, that smoulders long after I have left the workshop

Steve

All of ours were serviced today, It's one of those things you never want to ever have to use but when you do have to use it you'll be VERY glad it was there. As you found out!

That's a good point, Steve. I was lucky in that it happened whilst I was in the workshop. What if I'd come up to the house and left the lights on? A few minutes could have made a huge difference to the outcome.
The ceiling is Fire Retardant plasterboard, so there is not much up there that could have caught fire, other than the contents of the lamp itself, but it was scary, nonetheless.

My advice is, FWIW, make sure you know where your FEs are and HOW TO USE THEM.

The fannying about with the safety pin felt like AGES, though it was probably only 10 or 20 seconds. I haven't put the safety pin back.

And if you don't have any Fire Extinguishers in your workshop...

SteveF":1tihu6r8 said:
that looks like a near miss not wanting repeating
I have 2 co2 FE in my workshop
I just know I will need them one day

my biggest fear is a hot "chip" in my extractor, that smoulders long after I have left the workshop

Steve
" my biggest fear is a hot "chip" in my extractor, that smoulders long after I have left the workshop "
Does or can this happen I feel a bit worried now?

I know this is boring but I'm trained to use fire extinguishers and really it would be a good idea to have 2 extinguishers in a workshop a CO2 for exactly what Steve used it for (electrical fire) and for most things else a large AFFF.
Say if you had a small fire in your scrap bin you wouldn't want to blast it with a CO2 they are powerful and have been known to spread the fire by blasting lumps of burning material all over the place. On the other hand it wouldn't be wise to spray a water extinguisher on an smoldering electrical outlet.
It's well worthwhile to have a look at your extinguisher and familiarise youself as to how to use it

Looking at the photos Steve I can't see any rubber grommets to stop the metal casing cutting through the cable. Is this perhaps what happened?

-Neil

Have you considered filming that all over again for a really useful YouTube video? :) Extinguishers really are a Workshop Essential!

Thanks for the reminder though.

Its at Calke Abbey so quite old,they also have one of those blue fire grenades.

Pete

Glad to see it’s not far worse Steve, a couple of years ago I had a smoke & heat detector wired into the workshop alarm system, so even when I’m away from the shop if there was a fire not only would the alarm go off but it also rings my phone.

Steve Maskery":1khj2rca said:
What is a Fire Grenade?

They're a glass orb filled with a liquid of some description and were thrown at fires back in ye olden times to extinguish them. If I remember rightly the liquid was so toxic that if the fire didn't kill you the fire grenade eventually would.

Back