Good news for Tesco and Asda shoppers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's something like 17p for a 2 litre bottle. Where did people think it came from for that price?

I worked for a company called Wells Soft Drinks 15 years ago,(went bust) and we used to bottle water filtered from the mains for all the supermarkets, they call it table water as opposed to mineral water. Because it's filtered all the chlorine is removed and the micro growth is phenomenal it's actually worse than tap water!

Something else to look out for is the flavoured waters that are made 'with' pure mineral water, there is mineral water in the product but the percentages vary to satisfy trading standards, the bulk is made up of mains water. I used to think it was poncy Southerners who bought the stuff but it seems to be popular across the country now.

lol I buy this stuff as at my workplace the water sits in the pipes. In my experience, drinking from a supply that isnt used much is a recipe for the sh*ts at the best of times! So how much better are the branded waters deemed spring water (and more expensive) Also, just been to Sardinia where we drank bottled water only - bought cheapo stuff at Lidl - I would think that is a better bet than drinking straight from the tap so there is a market for this type of product and as long as the labelling is truthful whats the problem?

Whats the problem, it says water on the bottle!

What does one expect? Its not like the label is misleading, no pictures of mountain springs filtering through volcanic rock.....just a picture of a glass of water.

Hitch":2kg6q44o said:
Whats the problem, it says water on the bottle!

What does one expect? Its not like the label is misleading, no pictures of mountain springs filtering through volcanic rock.....just a picture of a glass of water.

Well they could fill their own plastic bottle from their own house water supply couldnt they at less than a 1p per litre :wink:

This is a big issue in the States with all the big drinks Co. selling this stuff too.
Only Nestlé of the big boys, indicate on three of their brands where the water is sourced?
I tried Coka Colas Dasaini once - tasteless stuff!

Rod

Well, they could fill their own bottle, but you could also grow your own vegetables, and bake your own bread.... ;)

Just got back from Sainsbury, I see four 2 ltr. bottles of sainsbury lemonade cost £2.09 and there is not much in them apart from bubbles and a lemon tablet so thats over 25p per ltr. Obviously supermarkets like making good profits using water. (they put it in meat joints as well to make weight I have heard)

Oh. and we have picked over 26lbs. of beans this year, make our own bread and the last visit to supermarket we purchased 7.5ks of flour but only got charged for 2.5. Yipee, Yipee.

Matt@":2nxo7ytg said:
lol I buy this stuff as at my workplace the water sits in the pipes. In my experience, drinking from a supply that isnt used much is a recipe for the sh*ts at the best of times! So how much better are the branded waters deemed spring water (and more expensive) Also, just been to Sardinia where we drank bottled water only - bought cheapo stuff at Lidl - I would think that is a better bet than drinking straight from the tap so there is a market for this type of product and as long as the labelling is truthful whats the problem?

If you ran the tap for a minute or two the tap water would be far cleaner than bottled table water that has been sat at room temperature for several days in a warehouse and store shelf, in a clear bottle.

If you plated the water form the bottle against tap water you'd be shocked at the microbiological growth in the bottled water versus the negligible growth from the tap. The bottled water has an under cover gas blown into the bottle just before capping, usually CO2 or Nitrogen in an attempt to suppress the nasties, unfortunately PTE bottles are porous and the gas devolves out.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to stay well clear of bottled water unless it's carbonated.

Jonzjob":5056at2c said:
Wot? Like beer! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That's naturally carbonated, better still!

Going back through several hundred years eh =D> =D>

If you can drink beer like water then go for it. :mrgreen: I'm such a lightweight I'd get ratted on water!

Hitch":2wn2yrtt said:
Well, they could fill their own bottle, but you could also grow your own vegetables, and bake your own bread.... ;)

We do, we do, and grow our own chickens and ducks and I have never bought any bottled water. I have always assumed its a rip off so all this comes as no surprise.

I've never understood why anyone would buy a bottle of water when the stuff that comes out of the tap is far cleaner. The bit that really gets me though is we are putting water, of all things, on the back of a lorry and driving it from mid-France to the UK so people can avoid perfectly good tap water. What an utter waste of perfectly good energy for no noticeable gain. If I was king bottled water would be subject to a special silly person tax that made it £1000/l. I bet you'd still get people buying it too.

Something I have thought about for a long time?

Water, the very same water, has been on this Earth of ours for billions of years. How come the supermarkets know when the best before date is and be able to put the actual day it's going to go off? They obviously employ some seriously smartass people :?: :?: :?:

Back