Good idea or not? - Bench top surface

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
I have loads of High Pressure laminate as ID'ed here can-anyone-tell-me-what-this-is-please-t53447.html

After a year since first building my bench the top is not longer flat, its been spoilt with paint/stains/varnishes, drilled into, its dinted, has chisel marks, glue stuck to it and even chunks missing. I could do with making the top thicker to accommodate the record 52 1/2 vices I keep meaning to fit. Also I could do with the surface being flat.

I was simply going to sand it flat but thought with this laminate stuff being 12mm thick, very hard and wipe clean I wondered if its a good idea to sand flat then put this stuff on top? It also gives me a chance to make the top a bit longer.

Any thoughts or cons?

Hi Hudson, From my recollection of using it in industry you may well find it too slippery. My only other thoughts are along the lines of, is it too hard ( dinging chisels etc.), is it too dark?

xy

If you go that route, Hudson, you might want consider puting a thin sacrificial surface on top, made of a less slippery, softer (tool-friendly) material (3mm mdf? hardboard?), with a view to easy replacement every year or so when it becomes too battered.

Important points guys and thank you.

Ill drop some 22mm MDF on top of the bench after sanding flat. The plastic stuff will not go to waste I have an idea for a moving target rig when we are shooting air rifles. After testing this plastic stuff it barely marks the surface even with rifle that will hammer its way through metal.

baldpate":zgdcvhyu said:
If you go that route, Hudson, you might want consider puting a thin sacrificial surface on top, made of a less slippery, softer (tool-friendly) material (3mm mdf? hardboard?), with a view to easy replacement every year or so when it becomes too battered.
I'd use oil tempered hardboard, far superior to the stuff 'ordinaire' - Rob

Back