Good entry level TIG welder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DC will do stainless. Alluminium requires AC.

The difference in price and skill required is significant, so work out if you really need AC?

Me?

I got a cheap used unbranded DC for less than £200 (used, which is almost more reliable than buying new when it comes to cheap Chinese inverters)

I then passed this on, and bought a used parweld AC, at about £450.

You'll probably need to budget around £200 for a rent free tank of argon (and deposit) also and some money for a mask, gloves, and consumables.

The UK mig forum will help further if you sign up there.

I've recently got a jasic AC/DC tig. It's Chinese but decent quality - I see enough real welders on site using them. It's got pulse as well, which is handy. I've done quite a bit of stainless welding with it and one aluminium job. Ally took a bit more figuring out because I'd never set it up for that before but it worked well.

The jasic one has a massive thread in the mig forum. I was going to mention it but couldn't remember the name.

General reports are positive. If you want to buy new it should be a consideration.

I think it's paid for itself already. I make brackets for thermostats we use at work in stainless with it. Previously the only way I could do it was stainless mig, which works but its ugly as hell. Last weekend I used it to weld a puller rod to a snapped speedo drive on a tractor camshaft - anything else would have made a complete mess. It's such a handy tool to have in the arsenal! I know it's been said many times but the accesories for welding add up really quickly if you're starting from scratch. A good hood is a must - our ancient speedglas can't keep up with pulse TIG and just gives up. The clarity from the optrel I got is stunning - amazing how far things have moved in the last 15 or so years.

Latest posts

Back