Good day at the market.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
Not quite car boot prices but I picked up a few things today.
Sorry no pictures.

First visited the Toolman who had save a nice Stanley #10 1/2 in absolutely lovely condition for what I thought was a fair price of £26.
At the same time I picked up a Norton Idia slip for £4 and an extra combination plane skate marked 050C for £1. Don't know if it'll fit my #50 but for a quid I couldn't leave it there (could I :? ).

Had a wander off but was drawn back to purchase a nice #71 1/2 for £17 possibly a bit over the top on price especially as only the one cutter, but my Stanley and Record #71's need some company.

Then found a bit of rust that looked interesting on another stall. Looks like a #778 but the maker is WS from Birmingham (any chance of shedding some light oh wise one). Bit rusty but should clean up nicely and it appears to have a bronze lever cap as well as a front knob added to the bullnose part. All complete, bit of damage to the nose but shouldn't interfere with it's operation. Paid a tenner for this one, might be a bit over the odds but seems a nice user.

[/list]

mudman":jcgbhv06 said:
Not quite car boot prices but I picked up a few things today.
No, cheaper than the car boots round here. ](*,)

mudman":jcgbhv06 said:
Then found a bit of rust that looked interesting on another stall. Looks like a #778 but the maker is WS from Birmingham (any chance of shedding some light oh wise one).
What again?! :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the link Alf, I'd forgotten about that one.

I had found a few references, Bugbear's site and the Old Tools Archive, but very little info. seems to be out there..

Interesting to find that the front knob is not a user addition and surprised at how old it may be if it pre-dates the sale of the WS works. Bit of a shame the nose is damaged, looks like it took a bit of a dive off a bench sometime in its past.

I'd be interested to know if the lever cap is brass or bronze. Anyone know how to find out?

Back