Good condition CL3 lathe what should I be paying?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles55

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I posted a different thread so I could discern that I am being offered a record CL3. It’s got all the blue paint, not rusty, motor runs almost silently, straight rest, curved rest for bowls, drive centre with removable spigot, it’s complete and a few miscellaneous things. I am being asked 200 quid. Is this cheap, expensive ?Any thoughts welcome as obviously there are more experienced people on this forum. It’s my first lathe so I don’t know about prices though I do know it’s a great first lathe.
Thanks

Sounds fine you could always search on ebay - for Record CL3 lathe then scroll down left hand side and filter for completed items to see what they actually sell for

Disregarding the paint job for a moment, you've already decided that the motor is in good enough order.

The next worst thing you would need to replace, if at all necessary, is a set of bearings and the drive shaft. They consist of three items, the drive shaft, back roller bearing and the front taper bearing and are usually best replaced as a complete set and Record (as far as I'm aware), still sell them.

Worth costing out.

Good luck

If it comes with the stand then yes otherwise perhaps a bit on the high side depending on what the miscellaneous items are.

I have a CL3 and keep an eye out on eBay for extra bits, have seen the basic lathe sell for as little as £150 ish for just the lathe with no stand or accessories.

The problem with using e bay as a reference is that those which sell cheap is because no one lives too close so no opposing bids. If by chance you see this then it may be a good chance to grab a deal.
For a later green cl3 I would expect something in the region of £200-£300 depending on condition and any bits with it

I once paid 20 quid for one hardly used. o_O part of a deal with timber, the lathe,6 quality tools, the RP base and a 2hp chippings extractor for £80. Bargain of the century.
Guy moving into much smaller house needed them gone that day, I was lucky i was looking on gumtree the very second he posted the ad.
I was impressed by its beefiness.

Hi
I posted a different thread so I could discern that I am being offered a record CL3. It’s got all the blue paint, not rusty, motor runs almost silently, straight rest, curved rest for bowls, drive centre with removable spigot, it’s complete and a few miscellaneous things. I am being asked 200 quid. Is this cheap, expensive ?Any thoughts welcome as obviously there are more experienced people on this forum. It’s my first lathe so I don’t know about prices though I do know it’s a great first lathe.
Thanks
The lathe comes with a box of bits and pieces. A couple of original rests the straight and the curved bowl rest and a massive banjo. I think I am going to buy it. The curved rest is 90 quid I think. I will need to buy a chucking system but I am not too worried as I intend to turn spindles first and I have what I need to start. I did look online and I found an identical lathe which started at 20 pounds higher than my 200 quid. It sold for close to 300 . Anyway thanks for the input.

Back