• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Good condition CL3 lathe what should I be paying?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Giles55

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I posted a different thread so I could discern that I am being offered a record CL3. It’s got all the blue paint, not rusty, motor runs almost silently, straight rest, curved rest for bowls, drive centre with removable spigot, it’s complete and a few miscellaneous things. I am being asked 200 quid. Is this cheap, expensive ?Any thoughts welcome as obviously there are more experienced people on this forum. It’s my first lathe so I don’t know about prices though I do know it’s a great first lathe.
Thanks

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds fine you could always search on ebay - for Record CL3 lathe then scroll down left hand side and filter for completed items to see what they actually sell for

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score
Disregarding the paint job for a moment, you've already decided that the motor is in good enough order.

The next worst thing you would need to replace, if at all necessary, is a set of bearings and the drive shaft. They consist of three items, the drive shaft, back roller bearing and the front taper bearing and are usually best replaced as a complete set and Record (as far as I'm aware), still sell them.

Worth costing out.

Good luck

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
bearings aside seems like a no brainer....any other tools n chucks for it....?
it'll cost that much for a decent chuck....

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
If it comes with the stand then yes otherwise perhaps a bit on the high side depending on what the miscellaneous items are.

I have a CL3 and keep an eye out on eBay for extra bits, have seen the basic lathe sell for as little as £150 ish for just the lathe with no stand or accessories.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget if you're comparing a price on evilbay it might well be hundreds of miles away and you have to get the thing or pay for the delivery.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
The problem with using e bay as a reference is that those which sell cheap is because no one lives too close so no opposing bids. If by chance you see this then it may be a good chance to grab a deal.
For a later green cl3 I would expect something in the region of £200-£300 depending on condition and any bits with it

TRITON

Established Member
Reaction score
I once paid 20 quid for one hardly used. o_O part of a deal with timber, the lathe,6 quality tools, the RP base and a 2hp chippings extractor for £80. Bargain of the century.
Guy moving into much smaller house needed them gone that day, I was lucky i was looking on gumtree the very second he posted the ad.
I was impressed by its beefiness.

Giles55

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I posted a different thread so I could discern that I am being offered a record CL3. It’s got all the blue paint, not rusty, motor runs almost silently, straight rest, curved rest for bowls, drive centre with removable spigot, it’s complete and a few miscellaneous things. I am being asked 200 quid. Is this cheap, expensive ?Any thoughts welcome as obviously there are more experienced people on this forum. It’s my first lathe so I don’t know about prices though I do know it’s a great first lathe.
Thanks
The lathe comes with a box of bits and pieces. A couple of original rests the straight and the curved bowl rest and a massive banjo. I think I am going to buy it. The curved rest is 90 quid I think. I will need to buy a chucking system but I am not too worried as I intend to turn spindles first and I have what I need to start. I did look online and I found an identical lathe which started at 20 pounds higher than my 200 quid. It sold for close to 300 . Anyway thanks for the input.

Latest posts