Good book on sharpening/fettling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Have just purchased a block plane, which as I can't afford the LN is a Stanley 110 (recommended over the Axminster 130 by Axminster themselves :shock: ).

OK, I am well aware that is the bottom end of the market and will need some fettling to make it better (or should that be bearable :? ), question is rather than just grinding away with a waterstone like a maniac, can anyone recommend a good book on the arcane art of sharpening planes and chisels? I know its a huge area and has many rituals associated with it, but a fairly simple text for handtool newbies would be most appreciated :) Scary sharp looks simple, but I would like a 'proper method' as well :wink:

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

Stanley #110?! <Shudder>. Okay, well it's done now so we'd better make the best of a bad job... :wink:

Lots and lots has been written about sharpening. I'm not sure if it's intended for public consumption, but BugBear has a page covering the absolute basics of sharpening here. It's set up primarily with one person in mind I believe, but I think it might be just what you're looking for.

Cheers, Alf

<thinking I'll stick with my floozy..... I mean L-N 140... doesn't have any nickers..... poor Dear..

I know, I know, your heart says LN, your head says LN, SWMBO says 'you are not paying that much for a small thing like that!' :(

Thanks for the links, have ordered a book and read the info. Now off to Halfords to search out some fine grit wet and dry, just in case. Who knows, if I make a bodge of the shelves she wants perhaps 'told you so' may get me the LN after all...

... then again maybe not :)

Steve

Steve.. strange though it may seem, my pocket said L-N too...

Initially I bought a Record block as my first plane. Thoroughly fed up with less than satisfacory results, I tried later with a Stanley...

They're both thoroughly tuned, sharpened and honed 0n a 6000 grit stone... neither of em work reliably; the Record parts company with its adjuster knob after 5 mins use, the Stanley percists in falling appart in my hands. Both have a nasty habbit of causing massive tear-out.

Conversly... the floozy performs perfectly in both nornal or rebate set up... All that cast and polished bronze looks beautiful too.....

Ah yes Mike - a good tale of "buy the best.."
Trouble is, if I never came to this forum and read all of Alf's posts, I probably wouldn't be so tempted to buy my first L-N!
I've got my eye on one of those little bronze things. Hell, I've got my eye on the #7!
As my partner says "I've bought it in my mind!"

A

Aragorn":etx603uu said:
Trouble is, if I never came to this forum and read all of Alf's posts, I probably wouldn't be so tempted to buy my first L-N!
I'm so sorry, I really am :( Trouble is it's like the story of the fox's brush; because he lost his, he wanted all the other foxes to lose theirs too. I'm hopelessly addicted to L-Ns now, so why shouldn't everyone else suffer? :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Yes Chris, although I've not got the book I've often seen it recommended. Leonard Lee started Lee Valley which is now run by his son Robin.
Amazon UK have an interesting price for this book of £61 which I hope is a typo since Lee Valley sell it for $17.50 and Amazon US for $16.31.

Rgds

Noel

Aragorn":m75wig0b said:
Ah yes Mike - a good tale of "buy the best.."
I've got my eye on one of those little bronze things. Hell, I've got my eye on the #7!
As my partner says "I've bought it in my mind!"

A

Aragorn, be very wary. Once you own one of these exceptional pieces of engineering, the Stanleys and Records will feel inadequate no matter how hard you tune them. You'll sell them for £10 on the forum! It is a very slippery slope indeed, you'll NEED another fix, a low angle block, a jointer, a smoother, a jack, and the collection grows. Sob, they even work straight form the box!!! I feel that I must warn you as this has already happened to me and look at me now......

Cheers

Tony

Back