Gone to the dogs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to have finished the bench in its entirety over the past weekend, but did not get much workshop time. Too many social events. In all I had about 2 hours, and in that I made the dogs. Now the bench is a working bench.

I will complete the shelf and a few odds-and-ends after this coming weekend, which is the annual Perth LN Hand Tool Event. Chris Vesper is staying over and we are both presenters all weekend.

The old bench has gone to a new home. I offered it to the first person to cart it away. Hopefully it will give them good service for a few more years.

I did take photos of the dog-making procedure and will post them, if anyone is interested.

Here is a picture of the bench with the Jarrah pieces used for the dogs. It may interest some to note the 2 degree angle (facing the tail vise) ..

dogs1.jpg

Here is one of the dogs (they are all identical), with a head dimension of 1" x 1 1/2" x 5" long. They are faced in suede leather.

dogs7.jpg

The dogs all recess flush with the bench top when not in use ..

dogs11.jpg

I really like the ability to raise them to a height that is needed ...

dogs12.jpg

The leg vise runs very smoothly. I am waiting on pieces of suede leather for the inner faces as they are a bit slippery and work pieces can be moved. I tested the grip with a temporary leather insert, and this made a significant difference. Anyone with comments here is very welcome. ..

dogs13.jpg

The bench in its new home ..

dogs15.jpg

dogs14.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice work again Derek.

Do you not use your holdfasts in the bench top?

There will be round holes for holdfasts. I just have not worked out yet where they will best be positioned.

There are a few other items still be be done before I can say the bench is complete.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It's a very beautiful thing indeed Derek,

A few very nice features in there not least of which is the idea of having a dog in every hole. A little extra work now, but an uninterrupted thought train every time you use it - genius!

I hope you will be very happy together.

Back