going on holiday...!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
well, it's that time of the year!

I am going to somwhere called "Holsworthy" :? well, it's near Holsworthy but not sure what the village is called!

Does anyone know if it a nice place??

I hope so. Although, i do hope there is a nice "woody" store nearby :? :D :p

Tom

Hi Tom,

Have a great time and I hope you do find a woodworking store nearby. I didn't have any luck where I went although I did see a Home Depot store but for some reason the driver wouldn't stop :(

Hard luck Thomas, Holsworthy (the one in Cornwall anyway) is a bit on the small side, like a small village, but smaller. So if you're going somewhere near Holsworthy.......
Got a rather nice golf course, at least.
Bude is nearest town (has an excellent golf course) and you got a hardware shop with a few tools (mostly of the Richmond/Blackspur variety) and there is also a builders merchants too. So maybe best just to treat the trip as a holiday....
Could always take a day trip to Axminster or a two day trip down to see Alf...

Whatever, enjoy the holiday.

Rgds

Noel., who hopes he has the right Holsworthy....

yup thats the holsworthy alright! :wink:

smaller than a small village?? :? :? ah well, i could just "Relax"-meaning i will design some projects :p :D
I hace been to Bude-'Tis near the sea side!!!

Charley-Aww, you could have just jumped out!!

Anyway, i have a sneeky suspicion that my dad is going to go fishing :? never mind :p

How far away is Axminster?? I'm sure ill be able to BEG my way down there :p

Ta

Tom

Ha hum. Holsworthy is actually in Devon <cough, spit :wink: > It's also right at the opposite end of the county from Axminster :( However, there is, or was, an outfit called "Holsworthy Tools", so all may not be lost. Of course it's not far away from David Charlesworth's workshop, although I don't know how he feels about unexpected visitors :?: David Savage is somewhere round there too, isn't he? Shebbear? There's the Shebbear Oak (aka The Devil's Stone Oak) in the main square there, said to have been planted by Bishop Grandisson who was skulling about in the 1300s :shock: At least I assume it's still there... A quick pop over the border can take you to the Rev. Hawker's place at Morwenstow (many assorted chimney pots) where the pub is supposed to be good (for food, as far as you're concerned :p ), but with hopelessly irratic opening times, and a little further south is the very beautiful Coombe Valley. Picturesque isn't in it. Had a weeks holiday there many years ago; very nice but no telly and it was the Oval Test with Grahame Thorpe making his first test century :( . Not that I'm holding a grudge or anything... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

In a smaller than small village 24/7 :roll:

Cornwall / Devon, all the same to me....
Ok, it's 6 miles from the Cornish border.
Is Holsworthy Tools the place in the square? Thought that was Launceston....
Morwenstow, yes nice pub and food is good.
Axminster is about an hour and 45 mins away.
Barnstaple, north of Bude (yes Alf, in Devon) has one or two tool shops as far as I remember.
Nice countryside anyway.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks for the info guy's and gals :p

So..ok..axminster maybe a little too far away! And this pub you are talking about, i COULD always have a shandy :p :p :D :D :D :wink: :roll: no but seriosly i hope it's good!

Anyway's people as they say.. "If i don't see you before i'll see you after"

Ta

Tom

ere tom if you see a fog bank dont go anywhere near it ,it'll lead you into cornwall where they'll prolly stone you for bein an outsider or rant at you in a strange language that they want out of england :twisted: tiz a bit like a league of gentle men down there :lol:

anobium punctatum":13wcurmh said:
ere tom if you see a fog bank dont go anywhere near it ,it'll lead you into cornwall where they'll prolly stone you for bein an outsider or rant at you in a strange language that they want out of england :twisted: tiz a bit like a league of gentle men down there :lol:
Ah. A local joke for local people... :lol:

Tinney?! Good lord. Head for the Middle of Nowhere and turn left... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

hehe...that made me laugh...i am familiar with the errr..."Local" people...they always give you funny looks....*nudge*Alf* :wink: :lol:

So...Tinney really is the middle of nowhere?? :p

Anyway i hope i don't miss anything SUPER exciting...Like Axminster giving all UKW members FREE tools of their choice :p :D

Ta

Tom

thomaskennedy":1q73yqv4 said:
Anyway i hope i don't miss anything SUPER exciting...Like Axminster giving all UKW members FREE tools of their choice :p :D

Ta

Tom

It's funny you should mention that :)

Have good 'un Tom

Well I'm back....

got a nice sun tan....well actually...thats a lie.....i am burnt to a crisp...

Well...i found out that we were staying on a blooming fishing place :? :? :? :roll: ....BUT...i gave it the benefit of the doubt, and i cought 2 crappy little fish....tsk...waste of my time :roll: :wink:

Alf-I see what you mean :shock: :shock: it is litrally in the middle of nowhere and then you turn left :lol:...mind you saying that it was very peaceful... :p

Oh, so much to tell, so little time :p, I am just finishing the sift through all the posts :shock:

Holsworthy tools..hmmm...not the err...widest selection of tools i have ever seen, but hey, 'tis better than nothing! :p

I managed to get my hands on a Good Woodworking magazine, nice to see that this forum is getting "Famous" :p

Ah Well, me is off to bed after my train lag..if that is a symtom :p :wink:

Ta

Tom

thomaskennedy":1vozuwyi said:
Well...i found out that we were staying on a blooming fishing place :? :? :? :roll: ....
Aww c'mon on, surely a fishing plaice (Boom, boom) :roll: :lol:

Glad you made it back from beyond, Tom. You'll find the published members in the smart seats with the magazine folks :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Train lag is what the whole system suffers from... :evil:

Back