Goes Round

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Our grandson loves to point out helicopters when ever he sees one, but at two and a bit the name is a bit hard to say hence "Goes Round". I had not made a toy for him for Christmas and the LOML suggested that I should by him a goes round for Christmas, well I was sure that I had seen a plan for one, a quick search later turned up this.
So copies were printed and a bit of 1 1/2 " beech sorted out from my timber stock.
Dscn3950s.jpg

I drilled holes for all of the corners.
Dscn3952s.jpg

And then attacked the timber with the band saw.
Dscn3956s.jpg

I used my scroll saw to cut out the cockpit, I used some pinless blades, very fidderly to fit on my cheap saw, I am going to check out the SIP one next time I see it.
Dscn3959s.jpg

LOML came out to the shop, to have the camera thrust in her hand for an action shot!
Dscn3962s.jpg

I had to use a number of different techniques to sand the outline smooth.
Dscn3967s.jpg

Back to the band saw to thin the tail, I used the block cut from the tail for support to make the new cuts.
Dscn3973s.jpg

I cut rotas from more beech.
Dscn3978s.jpg

I finished them by staining the skids black and the rotas red, using Chestnut sprit stains, then finish oil on the whole lot before putting the screws in.
Dscn3983s.jpg

Woohoo! A brace of Budgies (or a handful of Hectors, to my generation).

I reckon you've just made one little nipper's Christmas, Dave. Well done :ho2 =D> :deer !

I used to love Hector the Helicopter when I was about 3 or 4 years old. It was great when the Duchess of York... errrrr... re-invented(?) the character and introduced him to another generation. Oh, those imaginery journeys Hector and I had flying round the sugar plum mountains...

Gill

The helicopter:
Thats the first one I have seen, and I think it could be classed as machine carving, (thats my compliment), and should mean another happy christmas for the little one.

They look great. My little lad would love some of them.

Nice Workshop too. Everything where you can find it. :wink:

Lee.

Dave,
the forum seems to be full of things to add to my tuit list tonight.

They are very nice

Andy

Back