Goblets for an Xmas order....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Had one of the ladies at work ask a while ago if i could make her a goblet.....

Oh lordy.... never having made one before, i made this.....

IMG_4157.jpg

took it in and showed her.... she loved it and said can she have a set of 6...!! :shock: OMG..!!

I did explain that although they would be 'similar'..... they may not be the 'same'....

So here is no.1

IMG_0213Copy.jpg

then 2...

IMG_0214Copy.jpg

then 3...

IMG_0215Copy.jpg

then 4...

IMG_0216Copy.jpg

then5...

IMG_0217Copy.jpg

finally a set of 6...

IMG_0218Copy.jpg

Have to be honest here and say that no. 3 in the line up was actually the 6th and last one i made, i didn't notice until i'd finished taking the line-up shots. And as you can see i'd got a bit bored by then and the 'cup' shape is rather different from the others. But i shall put that down to the beauty of 'individuality...' :wink:

I'll email these pics to myself at work and let her see the results before i actually take them in.

Just as soon as i get round to it, i'll post some pics of 'work-in-progress' of making the last one.... forgot to do it before :oops:

As always, comments welcomed.

Nick

Well. I don't think that are at all alike! The markings are totally different for a start and I think that they are totally fantastic! VERY well done and if I could produce 4 like that I would be chuffed to the proverbial knutts! 6, well :shock:

I really liked the first and the way that you have presented the set, difficult to describe. If she isn't willing to sell a country (perferalby not Italy, Portugal or a couple of others?) then I would be completely surprised!

One thing? How did you finish them? Because with all that beautiful spalting it really needs sealing properly if they are going to be used for drinking.

Well done Nick!

errr.... thanks guys.. :)

Where do i get the spalted beech from...... ebay of course :lol: i just wait till i see a nice big lump of it and figure out what i could make from it.

I'ts not intended that they actually get used as goblets, and thats what i shall be telling her. If she decides to ignore me.... well.... thats up to her

They're finished with sanding sealer then Hut Pen Polish wax sticks.... both satin & gloss. Apart from the first one which i used Hut Crystal Coat friction polish.

Ian.... i've not entered any of the monthly comps so far this year, just not had the time to spare, maybe next year.

Nick

Very nice work. I made a vase in spalted beech and found the dust absolutely vile. Couldn't have stood doing another 5 even if I'd had the wood.
Well done both for producing such a nice set of goblets and putting up with that dust!

Sawyer, the one thing that you must do when turning spalted wood is to wear a VERY good dust mask. Spalting is fungus and when you turn spalted wood those fungal spores are released and they are not good for you, BIG TIME!

Breathing them is not good news!

The more I see those 6 the more I like them :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":a6601z81 said:
Sawyer, the one thing that you must do when turning spalted wood is to wear a VERY good dust mask. Spalting is fungus and when you turn spalted wood those fungal spores are released and they are not good for you, BIG TIME!

Breathing them is not good news!
Absolutely, John. I concluded that before next time, I'll be treating myself to a Trend Airshield, or similar. I ain't breathing that stuff again!

NikNak":3d6ssuji said:
errr.... thanks guys.. :)

I'ts not intended that they actually get used as goblets, and thats what i shall be telling her. If she decides to ignore me.... well.... thats up to her

Nick
If you sell these whether you state that they are not fit for drinking or not you are still legally liable and if she or anyone else uses them and gets sick you can be in all sorts of trouble. As Jon said, spalting is a fungus and some people can have a really violent reaction to it. I can't really imagine anyone ordering 6 of these without intending to use them for drinking so please, make sure they bare well coated in melamine or some suitable sealer.

pete

Latest posts

Back