Goblet wip....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
As promised, i've 'found' a little time, and posting a few pics of w.i.p. of the last of the set of 6 goblets i made.....

Using Spalted Beech spun it up till it was round...

IMG_0192Copy.jpg

hole in the end...

IMG_0193Copy.jpg

IMG_0191Copy.jpg

hollow out to desired depth and shape (not a particularly good shot, but its approx 48mm across the open cup and approx 45mm deep) then seal/polish...

IMG_0195Copy.jpg

support with tail stock and piece of suitable material (i used blue 'paper' towel from work)

IMG_0200Copy.jpg

IMG_0199Copy.jpg

shape the outside bowl cup before proceeding to the stem/base (forgot to take photo here... oops :) )

IMG_0204Copy.jpg

IMG_0202Copy.jpg

shape the stem and base...

IMG_0208Copy.jpg

finish with fine sanding, and copious coats of sealer...

IMG_0209Copy.jpg

IMG_0207Copy.jpg

before finally your choice of finish... here i chose to use Satin & Gloss wax sticks i sometimes use when making pens

IMG_0212Copy.jpg

before parting off... i leave a little 'nib' which is easily removed with a skew off the lathe, before sealing the base

job done....

IMG_0213Copy.jpg

then repeat...

IMG_0218Copy.jpg

i'm not an expert or a professional and have tried to make them all (as much as i can) the same. I can see the differences, the same as i'm sure some of you can too..... but the new owner is delighted with them, and i think that's all that really counts :wink:

Nick

Excellent result there Nik Nak.
An inspiring set which I would like try, but would be happy to make 2 the same :)
Well done and thanks for showing us these pieces.

take care
Don W

Nick,

Very helpful pictures and description, thanks.

One query: after completing the inside of the goblet, you have brought the tailstock back into use to support the piece whilst turning and finishing the outside, stem and base. My tailstock is very "pointy" and I think it would mark the inside in spite of the use of paper towel as you have done. Have I got the wrong type of point on my tailstock for this or could I just put a piece of, say, cork on the end of it to stop it marking the finished inside??

Mike,

great WIP set Nick - thanks for taking the time.

Mike, I have made a couple of 'covers' out of hardwood scraps to slot over my live centre in the tailstock for this sort of thing - one's a large 60 degree cone which works well as long as the walls of the goblet/box can take some expansion load, the others more of a spigot, gently rounded over. However, whilst these work fine with a shouldered centre I don't use them with my smaller simpler live cone. Hope this makes sense. Looking at Nick's pics he's got the shouldered version in there (somewhere) - be interesting to see what's on it!

NikNak":3omefrt7 said:
i'm not an expert or a professional and have tried to make them all (as much as i can) the same. I can see the differences, the same as i'm sure some of you can too..... but the new owner is delighted with them, and i think that's all that really counts :wink:
Nick

That's exactly the point!

Almost everything you make will never be good enough for you, but if you ditched everything that you thought could be better, nothing would ever leave your workshop!

P.S. I think they're great; wish I could turn out something as good as that! =D> =D>

Tony Spear":10hp96qt said:
I think they're great; wish I could turn out something as good as that! =D> =D>

Please bare in mind that this was my first EVER attempt at goblet making..... i think what really matters is a bit of forethought.... and patience, plenty of patience, never be tempted to rush anything (hammer) #-o sighhh.... :(

Have a go.... i did :ho2

oh.... p.s. Mike (Henton) i'm guessing you've got something similar to this... http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod21267/ ...??

I've got the Jet 1220VS and it came with one of these... http://www.axminster.co.uk/images/produ ... et4_xl.jpg ... and thats whats on the end of my tailstock with a generous wodge of blue paper towel protecting the wood.

Nick

Jumps,
What you are suggesting is effectively a small jam chuck for the tailstock end which sits over the revolving tailstock drive, I think? Presumably I could use a small piece of non-slip router mat as well as paper towel to reduce the chances of any marks on the inside of the cup.

Nick,
My one and only tailstock drive looks just like yours. The central "point" can be removed with an allen key and the whole head revolves freely. I think a combination of Jumps's idea of a mini jam chuck, plus paper and maybe router mat should see me OK. Some trial and error tests coming up, I guess.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Mike.

Back