Goblet advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Been trying to do my challenge goblet today with no success.
Firstly I only hae very small stock to start with so this may not have helped.

Have I come to the right conclusion thinking you do the hollowing, shaping, sanding and finishing of the bowl part first before going on to the stem?
I found that when i went back to finish the bowl part, the stem snapped.
Granted kit was my first goblet, and the stem was kinda thin
Any advice greatly received.

Not done many myself but gather that shape the outside of the cup. Then excavate the inside of the cup and finish sanding etc. Then the important thing is to introduce some form of packing to the inside of the cup and bring up the tailstock to support the goblet then move along the stem and then cut your foot.

Simples .... Says he who hasn't made his goblet yet

Yes, it is correct to do the inside first. Shape the outside to match the inside, but don't start to narrow to any less than about 1" to 1 /12" on the stem until you are completly happy with the bowl. I have always found it easier to do the inside first.

Only if I have a soft wood have I found it necessary to support the bowl while I turn the stem, but my goblets have almost always been made so that if wanted they can be used to drink from so the stem is never too thin like you see on some of the very tall very thin jobbies. No point in that for me..

This one holds nearly a pint

Teamwork2.jpg

and dont forget if you are using a screw chuck, dont forget the screw goes in an inch, therefore you cant incorporate the first inch of stock into your design :oops: :roll: :evil:
cos then you'll have to start again like me #-o

Paul Hannaby":1pik9e0e said:
Hi Melinda,
Yes you're right, start at the cup and finish as you go. Don't be tempted to go back.

There's a step by step guide on my website at http://www.hannaby.com/turn-a-goblet.html you might find interesting.
+1 For never go back, be it Goblet or thin walled bowl.
Very good WIP presentation Paul, must bookmark that one for the next time someone is having a problem.

Yup,I do the inside of the bowl then the outside and work to my left, totally finishing as I go, never go back to try to put something right. If the right ain't right, still don't go right, right !!!!

this is 6"+ ( high ) x 3"+ ( bowl ) x 1/8"- ( stem )

Attachments

• Leo-Makepeace-fall-c&t.JPG
    Leo-Makepeace-fall-c&t.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,124
Hi:
By coincidence another forum I participate in is having an event revolving around goblets and I just posted this video series last night. I have not looked at the November project specs so I don't know how much this will relate, but there might be some helpful info there. There are not, unfortunately, a lot of close up views of the action since I didn't have enough attention left over from the turning to mess with the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDDAC81821C1FA451

A view of the finished piece:

WR%20Fall%20Challenge%20goblet.jpg

Take care
Bob

Bob,

I am posting my above Goblet to you tomorrow ( Thursday ) hope it arrives ok. Not to your standards, but I wanted it to look BIG at the top, to sort of show off the stem. Did it work ???? I dunno ??

I know what you mean John, I'm not too happy with it myself now..........sorry Bob !!!

Leo

Back