gmail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I can't get into my emails - every which way I try takes me to the page where new accounts are opened, including my usual sign in page. I've tried various "solutions" but they take me to same page. I'm going to stop using it as it is a pain in the rr$e, but in the meantime I need to get into it.

I'd try a different browser and see if that gets you in for starters.

Try going into your browser settings and give it a clean, clear cookies,browsing history etc. Iseem to remember having a similar problem myself but my memory is failing me. Try that if no good I will try and remember for sure how I sorted it

This is exactly what happened to me, which i posted about in your last thread on gmail. I never resolved it. I now only use hotmail.

But your gmail account IS for emails!

Do you see a grid of 9 dots anywhere? That's a menu button for all the Google apps, including Mail.

Or try this link: https://mail.google.com

One other thought - I know you run Privacy Badger, but are you blocking all scripts? I think the sign-in page needs to be able to run a script to show a dialogue where you can say what Google account you want to use to log on with. (Which is not displayed if it finds a cookie identifying the account you use.)

There should be a link to sign in (using your existing account) at the top right of the page. Possibly scrolled off the screen?

Ok, that's as far as I can get.
I'm hoping one of the proper IT guys on here will join in - I'm just another user who doesn't get the same issue.

One last thought - sorry for raising it, it's a bit like asking if you put fuel in your car - but are you 100% sure you are entering the right password? Caps lock and number lock in the right mode, no stray spaces etc. It's possible that a wrong password takes you silently back to the home screen rather than telling you what was wrong - but I'm guessing out of my depth here.

to be honest phil, even with more details it is difficult to help since we can't see what is happening when you try to log in.

assuming you haven't already sorted it/given up, perhaps you can provide a bit more info by trying this link and telling us what happens

mail.google.com

when you go to this web site 3 different things can happen
1. If it detects you have recently used your PC to successfully log in to gmail it will automatically open gmail
2. If it detects you have used gmail before but have recently logged out it will redirect you to a page asking you to "sign in" (ie reenter your email address and password)
3. if it appears you have not used gmail before it will redirect you to a page that encourages you to create a new account

The web site does these checks by looking at the "cookies" on your PC - these are created when you visit websites like gmail and contain information about when you last visited and if you logged in or not. Cookies (generally!) make it easier to use services like gmail since they mean you do not have to log in every time you use it.

You mentioned you have recently deleted your cookies, in which case gmail will think you are a new user and will redirect you to the "Create a new account" web page

You should see an option to "sign in" in the top right - if not you should be able to get to it directly through this link:

gmail sign in

the sign in page should look like the image below.

Do you get to this point? if so, please try and login and tell us what happens next after you enter your email address and password.

I am sorry to say that if - after you log in - you are immediately returned to the "create a new account" page without any error messages then it will probably be hard to find out what is going wrong remotely, but let us know what happens and may be one of us can suggest a new test.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-28 at 08.37.15.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-28 at 08.37.15.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 199
Back