gmail invite to give away

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got 1 gmail invite if anyones interested - send me a PM.

I'm sure I'll get some more soon.

Adam

"Gmail" is the new email service provided by google - the worlds #1 search engine.

As part of Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful, we're testing an email service called Gmail.

Gmail is a free, search-based webmail service that includes 1,000 megabytes (1 gigabyte) of storage. The backbone of Gmail is a powerful Google search engine that quickly finds any message an account owner has ever sent or received. That means there's no need to file messages in order to find them again.

When Gmail displays an email, it automatically shows all the replies to that email as well, so users can view a message in the context of a conversation. There are no pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail, which places relevant text ads and links to related web pages adjacent to email messages.

asleitch":2epi7npw said:
There are no pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail, which places relevant text ads and links to related web pages adjacent to email messages.
(My bold)
So tell me boys and girls; how are they achieving this targetting and relevance? :?

Cheers, Alf

I can see how google can benefit from the ads that pop up when you search for something - they can be quite handy occasionally.
But in an e-mail? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Cheers
Gidon

Alf":xv5iiyqf said:
asleitch":xv5iiyqf said:
There are no pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail, which places relevant text ads and links to related web pages adjacent to email messages.
(My bold)
So tell me boys and girls; how are they achieving this targetting and relevance? :?

Cheers, Alf

They use a bot to trawl your inbox. Some people have issues with it, some don't. I'm in the "don't care" camp. I get enough spam of all varieties, and hate popup banners, and do occasionally click on googles sponsered links when I do a search that I don't mind them using the same techniques to bring them to me in my email. Like the search engine broswer they are off at one side, and a couple of examples......on a recent conversation with a beekeeping colleague, there were three adverts, 2 for beekeeping suppliers, and 1 for suppliers of jars for honey. In another conversation about kites with someone, the links were to kite shops, kite manufacturers, and kite fabric supplies. They are in small boxes off at one side, and really to be honest, quite unintrusive. Of course, given the way they make their money - it's in their interest for you not to recieve spam externally, which is superb, a real change from hotmail, yahoo, etc, who can sell out your email address immediately. A company that doesn't want you to be a recipient of spam.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks; 'tis what I thought I'd heard. Call me old fashioned (you won't be the first :roll: ), but I think I'll take unintelligent spam in preference to bots crawling all over my email. It may be a totally erroneous sense of invaded privacy, but there you are.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1j67rzs1 said:
It may be a totally erroneous sense of invaded privacy, but there you are.

Cheers, Alf

I decided that, after having a virus checker that runs through my emails, and often as not, emails come via messagelabs et al, then via GCHQ that one more time made no odds. At least google don't actually "read" the emails, unlike our friends in Cheltenham.

Adam

Back