Gmail gremlins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Last night 0.13% of 15gb was used up. This morning it is 0.09% and yet another tranche of stored emails has disappeared. This happens at random intervals, it is one whole category at a time and has happened several times - I have done nothing to change any setting. There are emails still there from a couple of years ago, so it's nothing time related. I've got wise to it and store anything of any importance elsewhere, but it still irritates. Does this happen to anyone else? :?

Gmail played me up to the extent that I couldnt log because it said I already was, but everytime i tried to access the emails it called for a password.
I gave up and went back to hotmail.

G Mail is the worst email provider I've had. We use different computers and tablets in UK and Portugal (also on the boat which changes countries) and keep getting messages saying they've blocked an attempt to sign in from unrecognised device - I know, IT'S ME! Doesn't like Windows Live Mail either, sees it as an "unsafe app" so have to override security settings. Occasionally, when I log on via browser, mails have disappeared.

Between the two of us we have 5 email addresses for different purposes and it's a real pain to change but, open to suggestions about a good free provider.

Suggest you get your own domain (cheap as chips) and get it hosted somewhere - that would give you your own mail server. Not free but not expensive either.

HIH

Dibs

EDIT: I do have a Yahoo email address and no emails have ever disappeared from there.

phil.p":3nzuyjkp said:
I've never had a problem with Sky/Yahoo either.

If the product is free, you are the product. All these on-line accounts read all your email for marketing (and more nefarious) purposes, steal all your contact details, and build up a map of who you are and how you connect with everyone else. They are so busy making money out of you, they have precious little time and resources set aside to give you the service you think you signed up for.

Buy a domain, and have full control of your email. First in the list for a search: https://admin.fasthosts.co.uk/purchase/domain/search/

Great news, your domain is ready to buy!
phillp.co.uk is available
£9.99
for 2 years

Or namecheap for £8.57 for 2 years but even better for 5 yrs for £28 - everyone seems to be doing subsequent years for a tenner. But TN - we are digressing. LOL

Hadn't thought much about "us" being the product - but good point.

I recall that ".co.uk" can only be used for a business account. from a long ago memory the taxman gets involved. However ".org" is for individuals who are not making money.
I never found out how he did it, but a friend of almost 20 years ago had an email address .........@bacardi and coke.com
I liked that. =D> :lol: 8)

sunnybob":7oacbxhs said:
I recall that ".co.uk" can only be used for a business account. from a long ago memory the taxman gets involved. However ".org" is for individuals who are not making money.
I never found out how he did it, but a friend of almost 20 years ago had an email address .........@bacardi and coke.com
I liked that. =D> :lol: 8)
Maybe 20 years ago, these days you can use any of them for anything.

Originally co.uk was commercial, .org was any not for profit organisation (not just individuals), .net was for network service providers, etc.

I always thought .org was for charities only..... anyone ever heard of this Bluetooth thingyo? supposed to be good apparently.

Garno":2s4qjslh said:
I always thought .org was for charities only.....

Yep - non commercial outfits. But the key words you've hit on are "supposed to be" - things aren't really enforced much. With the exception that some TLD's have geo-restrictions, i.e. if you aren't from that country (and possibly prove it) you can't have that country specific TLD.

Trainee neophyte":3g5ff6tw said:
If the product is free, you are the product. All these on-line accounts read all your email for marketing (and more nefarious) purposes, steal all your contact details, and build up a map of who you are and how you connect with everyone else. They are so busy making money out of you, they have precious little time and resources set aside to give you the service you think you signed up for.

Are you sure the paid ones don't do the same? The internet is becoming a nightmare with every move being logged, impossible to look at sites without agreeing to cookies being downloaded and some can be dangerous. My wife and I have different email addresses but both connect via the same router and occasionally when I've been searching for something, she starts getting adverts for the same, good job I don't visit naughty sites!

Trainee neophyte":rp1202v3 said:
Buy a domain, and have full control of your email. First in the list for a search: https://admin.fasthosts.co.uk/purchase/domain/search/

Great news, your domain is ready to buy!
phillp.co.uk is available
£9.99
for 2 years

Forgive the interweb numptyness but how does that actually work? Even if you have your own domain don't you still need a mail provider?

Step by step for a simpleton please!!!

Phil you then need to rent space on a server to host and run an e-mail exchange application for you to then use. they are cheap though

stuartpaul":1rj1650m said:
Forgive the interweb numptyness but how does that actually work? Even if you have your own domain don't you still need a mail provider?

1. Register a domain.
2. Contact someone who can host your domain & email. (PM me if you want some pointers etc)
3. Then you connect your phone, laptop etc to the server and send\receive your emails.
4. Bob's your uncle
5. You renew your domain every 1-2 years for 1 tenner or less. UK domains renew every 2 years and most others renew every 1 year. Obviously nothing stopping you renewing for longer periods.

HIH

Dibs

Dibs-h":3i3kgnn0 said:
stuartpaul":3i3kgnn0 said:

1. Register a domain.
2. Contact someone who can host your domain & email. (PM me if you want some pointers etc)
3. Then you connect your phone, laptop etc to the server and send\receive your emails.
4. Bob's your uncle
5. You renew your domain every 1-2 years for 1 tenner or less. UK domains renew every 2 years and most others renew every 1 year. Obviously nothing stopping you renewing for longer periods.

HIH

Dibs

Everything Dibs said, but perhaps for more clarity:

1. Purchase a domain name. In itself, this does nothing - it merely gives you the right to use the unique name, and no one else will be able to use it. It's like renting a post office box - as long as you keep the payments up to date, you have the address, it is yours only, and the entire internet will know where to find you. You can use this domain just for email, or you can have a web page, too.

2. Once you buy a domain name, you now need a mail server which can connect to the world. If you are a dab hand with Unix, Linux, or whatever Microsoft server nonsense is current this week, you can do it at home. Easier is to pay someone else to do it - you sign up with one of the myriad services who will then provide you with the mail server. There is some minimal configuring to be done, but the instructions should be clear, and it is simple enough. There will be help available.

Finally, you tell your email client (the program on your home computer, ap on your tablet or phone etc) what the email server is, and what your email account name is. All the info for this will be provided by the server provider. Bob is, at this point, your uncle.

Trainee neophyte":2vuqhqam said:
1. Purchase a domain name. In itself, this does nothing - it merely gives you the right to use the unique name, and no one else will be able to use it.

Yes - in essence you are "leasing" the right to use the name.

Trainee neophyte":2vuqhqam said:
It's like renting a post office box - as long as you keep the payments up to date, you have the address, it is yours only, and the entire internet will know where to find you. You can use this domain just for email, or you can have a web page, too.

Not wishing to split hairs - it's not quite. It's like getting the approval to have a PO box. But there is no physical box, no location, nothing knows where it is and nothing will find or get to it.

The internet will only know where to find you once you have a server or server space (and the associated DNS A, CNAME & MX records are created & that's what allows everyone\anyone on the old internet to find you.) This last bit is techno-babble and just causes regular folk to switch off. LOL

Latest posts

Back