Gmail gremlins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else have them? I keep getting whole categories of saved emails deleted at random. I've never used more than 2% of memory, but I went to bed one evening with 0.8% used and got up in the morning to find 0.1% used. Some of the remaining saved ones are a couple of years old - there's no sense or logic to which are deleted and which aren't. I've not had the slightest problem with Sky emails.

I've not noticed this, but if it's happening, it's a reminder of the risk of relying on a cloud based solution.
I take the precaution of running a proper mail client against all email accounts every few days so that I know I have a copy of everything sent or received, on my own hard drive. I see it as a precaution against the possibility of being locked out of accounts for reasons beyond my control - erroneous decision by the service provider, mistaken identity, malicious attack etc. But now let's add random service errors to the list.

Of course, you do need to make sure that your old emails are saved in a format likely to remain accessible and that your own hard drive is backed up...

What client would you recommend to someone who really has no clue when it comes to this kind of thing (Me) :D

Back