Gluing pattern straight to bare wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Cheetham

Established Member
Reaction score
My method of sticking a pattern to the wood has always been contact paper style film to the wood first then spray adhesive on the pattern to attach ontop of the contact style paper. It has worked pretty well for me but im now doing more intricate work and it seems to be lifting wood fibres off the wood when removing. Also from time to time the pattern keeps lifting in places.

I have watched a youtube video on just sticking the pattern straight to the wood and then using mineral spirits (white spirit) to remove it after. Does anyone else use this method?

My main question is

What is the best type of spray glue to use to make sure that I dont have the pattern lifting from time to time?

Also do mineral spirits pretty much dissolve all glues or just certain types?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Try a repositionable spray glue. Sand the wood to 240, clean off the dust, spray the back of the pattern, wait a few seconds then apply to the wood. I've tried several brands (Bostik, 3M and the local craft shops own brand but currently use the one from Crafters Companion, the Purple can.

I use A4 self adhesive labels

Print pattern on and apply direst to the wood

After cutting depending on the wood, a wipe over with turps subs and the remains of the pattern will usually peel off in one go

It costs about 7p per A4 sheet

No glue, no painters tape, no mess

whatknot":6sdxvzv8 said:
I use A4 self adhesive labels

Print pattern on and apply direst to the wood

After cutting depending on the wood, a wipe over with turps subs and the remains of the pattern will usually peel off in one go

It costs about 7p per A4 sheet

No glue, no painters tape, no mess

I wish I'd thought of this - it's brilliant!

My only additional advice, should you wish to try this, is to try and make sure any labels you buy are the type with a thin perforated border all around the edge on the top face, the side you print on (makes peeling off the backing much easier when printing several small items on one page)

I bought some once which had a perforation on the rear of the label, which, when printing more than one item on a page, made it a pain to find the perforation to remove the backing

Hope that makes sense ;-)

I've been using A4 labels for my clock gears and it's been quite successful. I use a bit of heat to remove the residue. I came unstuck (sorry) recently after buying some cheap labels but they were a nightmare to get off. So it pays to get a decent brand.
I also found out that labels are available with different adhesive strengths. A supplier sent me a sample of low and medium strength but when applied to wood there was very little difference.
For small items I use double sided tape
Brian

whatknot":2err6iav said:
My only additional advice, should you wish to try this, is to try and make sure any labels you buy are the type with a thin perforated border all around the edge on the top face, the side you print on (makes peeling off the backing much easier when printing several small items on one page)

I bought some once which had a perforation on the rear of the label, which, when printing more than one item on a page, made it a pain to find the perforation to remove the backing

Hope that makes sense ;-)

Thanks I never thought about adhesive labels. I may give this a go but will try the white spirit on normal paper aswell still. What brand a4 adhesive labels do you use. Thanks

The cheapest ;-)

I have only bought one pack which I wasn't entirely happy about, the glue wasn't as strong as others I had before or since, it was okay but just not as sticky, they still worked okay

I have some in my wish list on Amazon but can't remember if they are the same as I have had previously, £5.85 for 100, just ask the seller if they have the fine cut out on the top of the sheet (to help remove from the backer sheet)

Saves all the added expense of painters tape, spray glue etc etc and much easier to remove

Afternoon all. First post here...
I print my pattern on A4 paper, then apply pritt stick on the back of the paper then smooth it onto the wood. When I want to remove the paper I wet it, leave it a couple of mins then it slides off.
Sometimes it leaves a bit of residue, but a quick rinse under the tap removes it

Back