Gluing Padauk And Purple Heart.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich_N

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I have recently tried making something from Padauk and Purple Heart.

As on previous posts, I'm new to woodworking and stumbled blindly matching for a nice pattern but not thinking about edge or face or end grain etc.

I made a board from walnut, Ash, Purple Heart and Padauk - in that order. It looked very nice and I oiled it with mineral oil and decided it was a cheeseboard.

I noticed today that its bowed in line with the joins and the Padauk is splitting from the Purple Heart on both sides.

I want to remake this and I'm wondering 1) What did I do wrong. 2) What is the best way to glue those woods together, is there anything special I need to do or look 9ut for?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

any pics? you might need to re-plane the surfaces ideally with a no7 or no8 handplane then re-glue it, there may be oil in the padauk, when I glued up some purpleheart I used meths just as a precaution to wipe it down but it glued just fine with my no make regular PVA white glue, it has been very cold, sometimes using a heat gun can really improve adhesion.

Latest posts

Back