glues??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

i want to glue up a kitchen worktop top accomdate a butlers sink, its going to be in Iroko. do i need a special glue? will ordinary exterior grade white evostik do or do i need this "gorilla glue". Its going to have drainer grooves in it does that make a difference?

I don't see why evo stick couldn't handle it.. I use nothing else and so far nothing I've built's come apart through poor bonding... (says he touching wood)...

Hi Malcolm,
Welcome to the forum

From memory a butlers sink has a lip all round the top of it ie you would cut out the top using accurate measurements or template and drop the sink in, therefore cutting grooves in the top would be a bit worthless because the grooves act as water removal channels. Belfast sinks are different these require either underside mounting depending on the type or slot-in from the front; then grooving becomes a worthwhile feature. Remember to seal your cut faces before installing, and make sure you are comfortable using a router because the draining slots are normally tapered ie they get slightly deeper the nearer to the sink you get. Do some practices first. I made templates for ones I have done in the past
As for gluing, if you are going to be making it yourself and joining up boards then use the best glue available. I personally would use polyurethane (gorilla screwfix etc) but these are messy and can stain hands for a week so wear gloves. If you have quite a long length to do make sure you have plenty clamps available. Also if using alignment biscuits try to position where you think the sink is going to be just so you don’t end up showing a half biscuit if its an underside mount sink. I did a panel saw in iroko a while back and its mouted outside and glued it with gorilla glue and so far its never split.. for me it would be polyurethane

Hope this was of help
Regards
Ian

Back