Glueing Tongue and Groove

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrbarnard

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This video popped up in my feed. The YouTuber had taken in a garage door replacement and it had some problems with warping. The video shows him replacing the doors.
In the video he glued the tongue and groove boards together. To me this seems to be a big mistake. The whole point of T&G is to permit wood movement. Or at least that’s what I thought.
Comments?

He did it the second time as well.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

If I was paying him £260 a day I wouldn't be happy.

I agree, why on earth does he think hardwood is superior? the softwood was fine, he just shouldn't have glued in between the T&G joints, id-iot...it won't even last 1 year before it warps like crazy, the video really annoys me.

Ah now, whilst I agree with the above I am in the process of building a door for my wife's new greenhouse. It will be 2/3rds glazed with the bottom 1/3rd a painted T&G panel (it has to be painted to match the greenhouse). I can't paint each individual T&G board as they won't fit together and if I leave them loose and paint them once fitted then the bare tongues may show in summer. So my thinking was to use Hippo 3 flexible adhesive (that I've used throughout the whole greenhouse build) to glue the T&G boards together into a small panel, allowing 5mm all round in the rebates for movement. Will this work?

So my thinking was to use Hippo 3 flexible adhesive (that I've used throughout the whole greenhouse build) to glue the T&G boards together into a small panel, allowing 5mm all round in the rebates for movement. Will this work?
It might work, so long as they are not nailed to anything, but I have seen 119mm boards shrink 5mm each in summer.

Why not plop in a piece of plywood?

It might work, so long as they are not nailed to anything, but I have seen 119mm boards shrink 5mm each in summer.

Why not plop in a piece of plywood?
Exactly! however my wife insists T&G will look sooo much better (she has just bought a metal cut out clock for the back wall - I kid you not)...

I can't paint each individual T&G board as they won't fit together and if I leave them loose and paint them once fitted then the bare tongues may show in summer.
The tongue shouldn't be that tight you cant paint them, on a door i personally prime and top coat the T&G before fitting which allows the end grain to be dealt with and then 2nd top coat once fitted. Id never use glue as if there were any shrinkage then goodbye tongue!

In reply to the OP yeah glueing T&G is a nono, and reminds me of this guy TheFinishCarpenter on Youtube, had to go back to a job because he caulked all his T&G and he did it again 🤦‍♂️ watch , and he has a big following and makes out he's the top man, and does some schoolboy error like that!

How about a nice piece of plywood with nicely routed vertical lines. :)
I accomplished the same effect using a circular saw set to 4 mm in exterior grade mahogany ply just laid one sheet on top of the other at the required distances apart (used as a straight edge to guide the saw) the ran saw the length of the sheets till I had enough done, the complete upstairs of my house is done this way you can stagger the end to create a more realistic effect oiled and waxed looks fantastic been down twenty years lasts longer than laminate and can be sanded, also did the porch of my house which originally was done with t&g it's quick easy and very effective make sure that your lines a parallel and it will look great

Last edited:
There seems to be so many "experts" around on Youtube at the moment who are generous enough to share their knowledge with us but unfortunately like 99% of them this guy doesn't have a clue about what he is doing.

Should be no glue and at least a couple of mill gap between each board plus all the tongues and grooves painted.

Those new doors will be bowed in no time.

Back