Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cefn.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I need to fit a nut to the bottom of a pine timber bench leg. This will be used to accept a height adjustable foot. I plan to tightly chop in the nut and glue it in place to accept the foot bolt. What glue can anyone suggest please. It needs to be strong as the bench gets moved about quite a bit.
Thanks in advance.
Cefn.

Hello again!
from your description i would recommend a threaded insert. You just need to know the thread size, like m8

Drill a hole, use an allen key to carefully wind it in. Some people put a short bolt in the insert and wind the bolt and threaded insert in together. It allows a bit more force, but i have never had to do that

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-232010_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-232010_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 3
Hello again!
from your description i would recommend a threaded insert. You just need to know the thread size, like m8

Drill a hole, use an allen key to carefully wind it in. Some people put a short bolt in the insert and wind the bolt and threaded insert in together. It allows a bit more force, but i have never had to do that
Hi again. That great. Never considered this. I’ll check bolt size and see where I can get a couple. Best wishes
Cefn.

You can buy a box of various sizes of threaded inserts from the big river
Do trials with different drill sizes in scrap wood first
LINK

Do you test holes in the same wood as your piece, and the same grain orientation. I have m6 inserts that fit with 8.5mm drill in the face of pine, 9mm drill in pine end grain and oak face and 9.5mm drill in oak end grain. Put an 8.5mm hole in oak and it’ll snap the insert trying to screw it in.

Threaded inserts are a good solution and would be my prefered method but sometimes I have not had an insert handy and have used the glued nut approach. I have used Araldite or similar 2-part glue and have not had a failure.

Threaded inserts are a good solution and would be my prefered method but sometimes I have not had an insert handy and have used the glued nut approach. I have used Araldite or similar 2-part glue and have not had a failure.
That’s useful. Thanks for your reply. Regards Cefn.

Do you test holes in the same wood as your piece, and the same grain orientation. I have m6 inserts that fit with 8.5mm drill in the face of pine, 9mm drill in pine end grain and oak face and 9.5mm drill in oak end grain. Put an 8.5mm hole in oak and it’ll snap the insert trying to screw it in.
Thanks for this. Very useful info. I’ll order up bits today.
Regards. Cefn.

I would think just about any epoxy glue would hold the nut in place but as others have said a threaded insert is much better,quicker and no mess or waiting for the glue to set:).

Inserts are ok, but the nut is stronger if you install it in what they call a “pull-through” configuration so that the load pulls the nut into the substrate not out of it. From the sound of what you are doing the nut/insert will be pushed in under load so that’s good, but any sideways movement will have to go directly on the nut/insert which isn’t so great, in which case I’d go for a coupling nut (a long nut) in a socket so the load is distributed into the leg more

Far better to have some sort of elevating caster arrangement for moving the bench and dropping down onto elephants foot adjusters once in the desire location.

Oh, and use an epoxy of some sort, that’ll do it, doesn’t need to be anything special, rough up the nut to help it grip

Hi all. I need to fit a nut to the bottom of a pine timber bench leg. This will be used to accept a height adjustable foot. I plan to tightly chop in the nut and glue it in place to accept the foot bolt. What glue can anyone suggest please. It needs to be strong as the bench gets moved about quite a bit.
Thanks in advance.
Cefn.
I would, and have, used stud joining nuts. These are loooong nuts, and would resist sideways pressure much more than standard nuts. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124262543604?_trkparms=ispr=1& I drilled a hole of a size slightly smaller than the maximum size of the nut, whacked in a good dollop of "Araldite Rapid' and forced the nut into the hole with the corners digging grooves into the sides of the hole. Then I realised that I should have filled the thread with a piece of very well greased studding so the the 'Araldite' didn't get onto the thread, which is what I did as soon as I'd made another leg.

Good idea on the stud nuts and epoxy. When you have a doh moment it would be quicker to drill to core diameter and then use a tap to clear the thread. Had to do it a few times myself. Will I ever learn?

Latest posts

Back