Glue used?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaco

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes I should know, but ..........

What glue is best used to get the pattern to stick to the wood and that is easy to remove afterwards?

I have always used Pritt Stick, but it is not that easy to remove the paper afterwards.

I have also tried Pritt liquid which is the same as PVA glue and also not that great when cleaning up the cut-out for painting.

I have wrapped the wood with clear packing tape and then used Pritt to stick the pattern on, as I start cutting the paper comes loose.

I usually print onto printer labels and stick them onto packing tape or quality masking tape. If the pattern is not on a printer label then I use double sided tape and packing/masking tape as suggested by Lorenzl.

Thanks very much all, appreciated, I will see what is available at our stores.

+1 for pritt stick. I just dampen the paper with water when I want to remove it and it comes off easily.
Interesting (maybe) side comment I used a pritt stick for the stainless steel riving knife I recently made (see separate post) and tried a WD40 solvent and it wouldn't touch it. Dropped it in water and it floated off.

I am a scrimper so go for the cheapest option. In the past I always used the good old fashioned Gloy Paste or Gum which you can't seem to get now. so instead I use the cheap Glue (paste) pens that you can get in the £1 shops (4 to a pack) I then sand the pattern off, sometimes I slightly dampen the paper to help it's removal.
Some of the spray on adhesives are not water based and do tend to leave a sticky residue on the work which is difficult to remove.

However IMHO the best way if you can afford it is to use removable A4 labels that you print and stick on, but make sure they are removable as the permanent ones are difficult to remove after cutting.

I have covered the subject in several of my videos inc this one

Thanks for all the information.

All my cutting is on MDF 3 or 5mm or hardboard. There is no decent thin ply available locally.

The problem with Pritt on the MDF - to get the pattern off requires some water and MDF certainly does not like any water. Leaves a furry surface.

Clear tape or masking tape works fine on MDF, BUT, pulling it off also tends to leave some furs sticking up. All the work is painted and requires a lot more sanding, and is a lot less work than just Pritt.

Pritt on clear tape does not stick very well and the pattern starts coming off as I cut.

I will look for some labels and spray adhesive.

Scrimper, nice video. :)

@Jaco: Have you got a piece of glass handy (or even a window will do at a pinch)? Tape the fresh clear tape with a doubled short piece at one end, then lay the tape on the glass. Then pull the tape off the glass - pulling it back against itself - and then use it to stick onto the MDF. I've used this trick a few times, sometimes it works well, others not so much, but the idea is that using the tape once on the glass SHOULD remove some of the stickiness, making it less of a problem when used on the MDF. I guess it depends on the brand of the tape.

Another idea is to look for smooth-faced masking tape, not the "normal" stuff which has a slightly "crinkly" surface. As masking tape uses a lower-tack adhesive, because it's designed to be removed without mess after a painting job, that works well I've found. The only "problem is that it costs quite a bit more than standard masking tape (well, it does here anyway).

HTH

Thanks AES, good thought, will see if I can source some nice thick glass.
I have used the pale masking tape and also the blue painters tape, results were so-so.

Cheers

As mentioned above, spray adhesive stuck to the wood or onto tape works just fine. I use a heat gun to warm the patterns once done cutting and they come right off. Then a quick wash of mineral spirits takes off any adhesive residue left behind.

I printed a whole lot of patters, then glued (PVA glue) them onto some thin MDF or hardboard, cut them out, and these then became templates for future use (repeats).
Take the template, hold onto wood, and draw around with HB pencil. Mark additional holes for eyes, ears, mouth etc.

Back