Glue syringes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I've looked at a number of listings on Google but really need some advice please . . .

First task I have is to be able to get glue (e.g. Titebond) under lifted veneer* to effect a repair - other tasks are the need to feed a fine line of glue onto a 6 or 8mm edge of a board.

What's the best thing to get? - I've seen medical style syringes, giant syringes like a vet uses and squeezy bottles with a needle.

* existing glue doesn't react to the hot-iron method!

I tend to buy PVA in small squeezy bottle with a nozzle (Wilco) and refill it to use as an applicator until its nackered. Syringe with free glue!
In emergencies sometime use my old Goblin vac on blow - splash glue around the crack etc and blow it in.
Does work - then clamp it to squeeze the surplus out.
Once was given a handful of used heavy duty single use throwaway syringes from a vet. Ask your vet?
Also included was a gadget for inserting hormone pills under the skin, for caponising cockerels. Haven't found a use for it yet!

Last edited:
ask at your local health clinic for a 2ml syringe and a yellow needle. Explain what it's for and they'll probably give you one

Do you have much to do? The chair doctor glue with syringes has tended to be my fall back for inserting a bit into tight places. Not cheap though.

Try your local printer cartridge refill type of shop, they sell refill kits for various cartridges, syringes and blunt needles included.

What you do is say to the wife you have a few grey's and she get some hair colourant and you keep the bottle put a 2mm brass tube in little bit of resin glue to hold it in place and there you are glue bottle/oil bottle job's a good'un.

IMG_20220124_1003140.jpg

IMG_20220124_1003551.jpg

What you do is say to the wife you have a few grey's and she get some hair colourant and you keep the bottle put a 2mm brass tube in little bit of resin glue to hold it in place and there you are glue bottle/oil bottle job's a good'un.

View attachment 127805

View attachment 127806
I have loads of these for different things. Filled with cutting fluid and all sorts they're brilliant.

for gluing narrow fissures-like veneer- I am partial to using inexpensive drafting erasing shields.

The numerous cut outs will carry (sometimes thinned) glue in and you can work it back and forth. The shields can be easily cut with scissors.

They are about .003" thick, so fit into real tight areas

For clamping the veneers I use 1/2" clear plexiglass so you can see what's happening (like glue squeeze out that needs cleaning off the surface)

I also use syringes with blunt needles, but a word of warning-be careful how you discard them-I got a warning from the garbage collector about disposing "medical waste"

Eric

for gluing narrow fissures-like veneer- I am partial to using inexpensive drafting erasing shields.

The numerous cut outs will carry (sometimes thinned) glue in and you can work it back and forth. The shields can be easily cut with scissors.

They are about .003" thick, so fit into real tight areas

For clamping the veneers I use 1/2" clear plexiglass so you can see what's happening (like glue squeeze out that needs cleaning off the surface)

I also use syringes with blunt needles, but a word of warning-be careful how you discard them-I got a warning from the garbage collector about disposing "medical waste"

Eric

The eraser shield idea sounds like a neat trick - likewise the plexiglass. For the repair I've just done I fed glue under the thinner-than-paper veneer with an artist's paintbrush and a scalpel blade - then clamped the area between two boards - with some silicone baking parchment over the repair to stop any squeeze-out sticking to the clamping board. Fiddly to do but worked - hence the enquiry about syringes.

Ah - never thought of that - I have an INR test in a couple of weeks, I'll ask the nurse.
Whilst you’re there, ask for one or two used sets of single use tweezers. My nurse said they go straight into the sharps bin after use, and gave me four pairs out the drawer. They’re stainless steel and really thin nosed, perfect for fiddly jobs in the workshop.

Whilst you’re there, ask for one or two used sets of single use tweezers. My nurse said they go straight into the sharps bin after use, and gave me four pairs out the drawer. They’re stainless steel and really thin nosed, perfect for fiddly jobs in the workshop.

Good tip - I'll ask

Latest posts

Back