Glue suitability query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Hello assembled folk,
I am (finally) about to start on my long-planned guitar project and there is one item I would like some advice on.
As part of the build, I will be gluing a fair bit of end-grain to long-grain (padouk end grain, maple long grain). For what I want to do, this is unavoidable, and shouldnt be too much of a problem structurally.
My question is twofold :
What would be the best glue to do this - epoxy or cascamite?
If epoxy, would Z-Poxy be sufficient, or should I splash out on a little West System?

Many thanks,
Adam

Hello Adam,

So what sort of guitar are you going to build, and are you going to do a WIP?
We need to know these things :)

Regards....Dick.

Cegidfa":3nomc0rt said:
Hello Adam,

So what sort of guitar are you going to build, and are you going to do a WIP?
We need to know these things :)

Regards....Dick.

Also interested here. More details please!

Dick, Mike,
The plan is to take Eddie Van Halens' red n white guitar from early VH days, and do a solid-wood version using padouk (which I know will oxidise over time) and maple for the stripes.
Twin humbucker and non-trem (don't use it much anyway), with slightly different 5-way switching. Maple (I think) neck and fingerboard, gotoh 510s or sperzel locking tuners.
It's a while since I built a couple of guitars over at Baileys in Ayrshire, so the going will be a little rough, and slow! I may do a WIP, but probably not until a fair bit has been completed.
Main issues? Neck alignment and fret job. Oh, and passing the humbuckers (Bareknuckle I think) and various other bits underneath my wifes' credit card radar :)

Cheers,
Adam

Back