Glue question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd probably use a two part glue such as araldite I've done this with brass but not with what you are using.

Andy (who can't get Glen Clampbell out of his head now)

Thanks for the suggestions, I suppose what bugs me is buying lots of glues to try them out and 1 or none of them being any good, thats a small fortune down the drain.

Any idea if any compnaies do small sample tubes?

Don't know where samples might be available, but I would go the Araldite route. I would use Araldite Rapid - a fairly short working time after mixing but a nice, quick setting time for small work. Can be applied in miniscule drops, too, with such as a cocktail stick or similar. Haven't bought any for a long time but I don't think it is too expensive.

Cheers,

Trev.
(another G.C. fan)

I second the araldite (epoxy) route. It sticks most things and will happily accommodate any irregularities in the surface of whatever you are trying to glue (it's gap-filling). No glue sticks well to things that have been handled a lot so it's worth sanding the foil on the backs of the stones very lightly with a very fine (320 or 400 grit sandpaper) to assist adhesion.

The glue I would choose would be one that many of us will recall from our days at primary school: Copydex! It's more user friendly than any of the other glues mentioned and cures to provide a flexibility that can be very useful with a material that is apt to move, such as wood. It's also very good for gluing fabrics which resin glues have a tendency to soak through and damage. I mention that just in case you decide to use other materials at some future date.

I've used Araldite, Super Glue and PVA in the past for similar projects but none of them have proven to be as versatile or effective as Copydex.

Gill

Ive tried pva which is a classic and an absolute favourite of mine but I experement ot see if the stones come off and they do.
I tried some extra strong superglue but it reacted with the stones foil back and made the stone look dull, not twinkly.

What Im trying to ask is, is there a glue which will stick the rhiestone to the wood without it reacting with the stone, making it dull?

Another vote for epoxy glue. I have made a lot of silver jewelry over the years and epoxy has held many a stone in place

Hi WW,

Yes, Araldite is widely available and most DIY shops will have it. Cost - dunno exactly but probably something like 3 or 4 quid a pack.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi,

Go to wilkinsons and buy their own brand stuff, half price and it sets lots better, harder and clearer.

pete MB&D

WonderWoman":17bpbzez said:
Okey doke.

I found the glue im sure I used which effected the stones.Its Loctite superglue.

Most super glues are cyanoacrylate - quite different to araldite - you should be OK with that!

Adam

Hello WW - For what it's worth I strongly recommend the epoxy route (Araldite is one well known trade name but there are many others) I would also suggest the 'standard' version rather than the 'quick setting' I have found the standard version sets stronger and will give you more time to get the stones exactly where you want them. The rapid versions do set quickly (About ten minutes) That sounds a long time but if there's a tiny distraction after you've mixed it and the stone is not exactly where you want it then ten minutes is up sooner than you think. It's very important to get the job done BEFORE the curing begins.
Gills comments about Copydex are pertinent and worthwhile but I think you'll find epoxy glues are stronger. Keep well away from Cyano types. Let us all know how you get on - Then all us 'advisors' can find out what is good for rhinestones on wood, not that I ever wear them you understand :wink:

Ok, depending on cost Il go fo ro both and see which is best.

Maybe you should start wearing rhinestones!!

Latest posts

Back