Glue help please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lyn,

Apologies for the delay in replying. The glue I used was Swiss Purbond but it seems to have been taken over by Loctite and now only available in Australasia. I have had a good hunt around on the internet and the only one I could find is Bison PU Max which is said to have an open time of 1 hour and is also, like Purbond clear , unlike many which are brown or white. I have no experience of it but it sounds suitable. It is available from Glues Direct of whom I have had good personal experience. If you are unsure of its suitability I would suggest you give them a call.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Hi Lyn,

Apologies for the delay in replying. The glue I used was Swiss Purbond but it seems to have been taken over by Loctite and now only available in Australasia. I have had a good hunt around on the internet and the only one I could find is Bison PU Max which is said to have an open time of 1 hour and is also, like Purbond clear , unlike many which are brown or white. I have no experience of it but it sounds suitable. It is available from Glues Direct of whom I have had good personal experience. If you are unsure of its suitability I would suggest you give them a call.

Hope this helps.

Jim
No problem Jim, I'm nowhere near glue up yet. Thanks for the reply, as I said I have Gorilla PU but that expands like hell and is brown so wasn't sure how it would look. I'll give Glues Direct a shout and see what they say about the Bison.

Cheers

Lyn

You Grilla glue will do the job,not had any problem with it staining the wood, leave any excess squeeze out to fully harden then clean up with a sharp chisel:)

The OP did say he'd like some open time - D4 (or at least Everbuild D4) can be a nightmare to use in this weather. The chair will be stored indoors - 502 would give him a little longer.
D4 is a durability classification, not a drying time.
If you want to slow an adhesive down, put it in the fridge before you use it and assemble first thing in the morning when the ambient temperature is lower.
A longer open time is one option, the other is a faster assembly operation.

No problem Jim, I'm nowhere near glue up yet. Thanks for the reply, as I said I have Gorilla PU but that expands like hell and is brown so wasn't sure how it would look. I'll give Glues Direct a shout and see what they say about the Bison.

Cheers

Lyn
I find 'The Beast' PU glue works well and is cheaper than gorilla glue. I get it from Ironmongery Direct
Best wishes, John

Hi Lyn,

I have unexpectedly had a laminating job requiring a decent open time so ordered some Bison PU Max from Glues Direct. It has proved to be everything I hoped for - good open time, strong bond, a colourless glue film, squeese out is easily removed and any film left on show surfaces is easily scraped away leaving no discolouration. The only downside is that it comes in a 75g bottle which is not a huge amount, although enough for my job. However, it is only £3.90 a bottle so better to order two bottles if in doubt, particularly as GD's shipping charges are quite high. I see that fhsa suggests "The Beast" PU glue but it is brown. which may or may not matter to you.

Jm

Hi Jim

Out of interest, did the Bison expand or not? Not that it really matters much. As a test I made up two laminated rockers using Gorilla wood glue and they came out OK so may use those anyway.
I am about to start glue up on the front and back sections as shown. With 30 M&T joints I don't want any holdups on the way so open time is my priority.

Attachments

• 20210702_164820.jpg
    20210702_164820.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210703_153945.jpg
    20210703_153945.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210802_203713.jpg
    20210802_203713.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 16
I've found titebond 3 to be pretty forgiving on cock ups. I've knocked gates apart after 10 mins put a large domino in recut it then put it back and years later it's still sound

You have 30 joints total, but I’m not seeing anymore than 9 that have to be done at once (one row of back splats), are you sure you have to glue everything at once?

You have 30 joints total, but I’m not seeing anymore than 9 that have to be done at once (one row of back splats), are you sure you have to glue everything at once?
Quite correct. Actually needed to glue 18, top and bottom so as to ensure the back frame mates with the rear posts correctly. I have just finished it and it is clamped and setting with a dry fit to the posts which I shall glue tomorrow.

Cheers Lyn

Hi Jim

Out of interest, did the Bison expand or not? Not that it really matters much. As a test I made up two laminated rockers using Gorilla wood glue and they came out OK so may use those anyway.
I am about to start glue up on the front and back sections as shown. With 30 M&T joints I don't want any holdups on the way so open time is my priority.

It did expand but only mildly Chair looks good, nice work.

Jim

Back