Glue for segmented turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on glue choice for segmented bowl blanks, The 2 glues I generally use are Titebond or Aerolite. Titebond has a bit more creep allowance but probably not as strong

I've watched enough youtube videos on segmented turning to know that that the glue of choice is standard PVA or Titebond. That's what I'll be using when I get around to it.

I cave up on cascamite about 5 years ago. The issue with UF glues is they create a very hard and rigid glue line so my concern was whether I might benefit from the softer glue line from titebond and whether there might be any movement issues that might make 1 glue better than the other

For the endgrain segments I always use a mitre bond instant set glue as it will leave no glue line. After all you only want to make the rings strong enough to handle them while you sand the endgrain. For the main glue up I use standard Titebond yellow glue as it has a fairly quick 'grab'. PVA's are even stronger than polyurethane so I wouldn't worry about strength.

You can also use a two part epoxy resin. Great if you have lots of segments.
If you use YouTube, search for ACCU-SLICE, he produces lots of segmented and laminations and uses titebond for simple glue ups and resin for complicated or large glue ups.

Back