Glue for outside project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you say in the best glue between Titebond 3 or epoxy for gluing these scrollsaw cutouts, they will be outside permanently (they are for a bird feeder)?

I don't want to use polyurethane glue beacuse the foaming would be a nightmare to clean up.

finch-cutout.jpg

post-temp.jpg

Thanks in advance & regards

Brian

Okay thanks. I didn't know about that brand which sounds like it would be equivalent to Titebond 3 but with the added advantage of drying clear. What about epoxy? Has anyone used epoxy on such a project?

regards

Brian

My go-to for this project would be a urea formaldehyde but only because I use it often on other projects and I have great faith in it. The D4, as suggested is an excellent choice. It's cheaper than the epoxy and a longer shelf life than UF. If all you have is epoxy on hand then use that. I have a repair to a garden table that I made five years ago with Poundland epoxy in an emergency and it's still holding up just fine.

I have some Titebond and Everbuild on order. The Everbuild is significantly cheaper than the Titebond so I will find out if it lives up to its claims.
thanks for all the input.
regards
Brian

everbuild D4 works well outdoors too
Everbuild is great glue but,,,it has a short use by date and when you buy it from Toolstation and probably elsewhere its often several months old already,,leaving you with just a few months to use 1ltr. There are several posts online complaining about this, but Ive not seen anywhere what the Use By Date means in terms of performance,,,
Steve.

Everbuild is great glue but,,,it has a short use by date and when you buy it from Toolstation and probably elsewhere its often several months old already,,leaving you with just a few months to use 1ltr. There are several posts online complaining about this, but Ive not seen anywhere what the Use By Date means in terms of performance,,,
Steve.
I noticed this when I received it, as you say Steve, already about 5 weeks old before I got it, so not really impressed with that aspect. It will do for this job but it is a lesson learned - only buy what you can use in say 3-5 months.
regards
Brian

Hello Brian, trouble is they only seem to sell it in 1ltr bottles,,thats a lot of glue for someone like myself, I will of course keep using it out of date or not and hope its okay, but if it was for another important outdoor project I might prefer to buy somthing else. I suppose I could try contacting everbuild and ask their opinion on its out of date performance,,but I wouldnt be hopefull that I would get anything other than the official party line, and I suppose the short use by date does mean that it loses some of its properties with age,,
Steve.

I apologise for that one - I've just looked at the price - it's gone up £3 since I bought it a few months ago.

I've just looked at Gluegunsdirect - theirs was £4.60 last I looked (not too long ago), it's now £8.70.

Last edited:
Back