Glue for garden furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris.gid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for advice on what type of glue to use on outdoor furniture.
Have done a mock up of an adirondack style chair using old gravelboards from a fence that was replaced last year. Too keep the costs down im planning on making the proper chairs from either Ipe and Balau decking and gluing 2 19mm thick boards together to give the look and strength i need. This means that the 'legs' of the chair will be in contact with the ground (well paving) and im worried about the glue holding the 2 bits of wood together going soft over time.

I have made the mock up from weather resistant PVA, but wondering if polyurethane glue may work better in these spots?

This is the chair
IMG_20210315_135619.jpg

And this is the back bit of the leg which (made in the same way as the front leg).
IMG_20210315_135630.jpg

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Titebond 3 ultimate should do the job. Ive just used it for an outdoor bbq table which will be having an 80 kg kamado bbq sitting on it.

I had an old, thick (20mm?) plastic chopping board which I've cut up for several outdoor projects to make feet, so the wood doesn't come into constant contact with the grass.

If you can find something similar, preferably in a dark colour so it doesn't draw the eye, this might help

I had an old, thick (20mm?) plastic chopping board which I've cut up for several outdoor projects to make feet, so the wood doesn't come into constant contact with the grass.

If you can find something similar, preferably in a dark colour so it doesn't draw the eye, this might help

I was about to suggest the same thing. Anything really that will lift the end grain above the concrete will help, chopping board is a fairly cheap, fairly readily available plastic.

Plastic block to raise it is a good idea.

Anyone have thoughts on Titebond vs Gorilla PVA or even Screwfix weather resistant PVA (what i currently use).

I use both Titebond 2 and 3 and Gorilla Glue. Titebond 3 is thinner and more runny than Gorilla glue but haven't noticed any performance differences thus far. The only thing I would say is Titebond seems favoured by more for outdoor applications and I have only used it for outdoor furniture and used Gorilla for internal furniture.

In the past couple of years I have made several Adirondack chairs which have stood up well, outside and covered up when not in use

This Resinmite is a cascamite type of glue and very durable imho

Chair looks a great design ! are there plans available ?

Chair looks a great design ! are there plans available ?

I believe you can buy proper plans from Etsy but given the simplicity of the design the preview pictures on the site were perfectly good enough for me to build it around the size cushions i have.
DIY Outdoor Lounge Chair/Stool Building Plan template | Etsy

The only bit which requires a bit of thought is the arms to get them at the right height and level, to do this i built the base and back, then propped up the front on bricks until i got to a comfortable height (for me it was 4 bricks, then just took measurements.

IMG_20210312_163717.jpg

I'm also changing the design a bit to have a longer support from the back of the arms to the base to give it a bit more racking strength as the original design had a bit of movement (when just held together with pocket screws and dowels).

I use everbuild 502 for outdoor stuff, it's cheaper than titebond and does the same thing.
I've been using 502 too for several years and for the same reason. You may also want to consider urea-formaldehyde. Since Cascamite has gone out of favour (with me anyway) I have been using Semforite from www.maragon.co.uk/glue for a few months. Not long enough to give a recommendation but I can't see it being much different than any other UF glue.

I really like titebond 3 its extremely well suited to the glubot. I do use a bucket of cheaper glue when its not to important but always reach for titebond on doors and deep tenons its just much slower setting and easier to apply. I always use brushes as well. pu glues good as well esp if your joints are tight ish as is really slippy works on end grain(mitres say) better than pva

Polyurethane Glue. You can buy 5 min setting and 45 minute setting tubes for the your silicone gun. It’s gap filling, and waterproof and affordable!

Back