Glue brushes, spreaders etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a really cheap source for disposable glue brushes?

I lived for years off a suitcase-full of brushes called "acid brushes" that I picked up in the USA on a business trip, they only cost 5 cents each. Having run out of them I am reduced to using scraps of wood - fine for some things, hopless in other situations. The cheapest brushes I have found come from Tilgear but they are not really that cheap and because I am at present on a particular project having to use polurethane glue (that I have never really satisfactorily cleaned off brushes - hence they only get used once) I am in need of something like my acid brushes.

I did find some once but they wanted 50p each for these and that was just daylight robbery.

For those not familiar with an acid brush it is a handle of very thin rolled sheet ally with a few bristles in the end - flat section to the bristles.

The bristles need to be moderately stiff to be of any use.

Yes

Rutlands sell some - you get 48 brushes for £13 - so it costs around 40p per brush.

I almost ordered some the other day, got to the till and they wanted me to pay £5 for delivery (I can understand something like a mortiser - but a pack of brushes cant weigh that much - bet I could get them sent from USA and it would be cheaper!)

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... 1,0,0,1|1|

Edit: I also find myself using thin bits of wood to spread poly glue - Just ripped down a hole load on the bandsaw - keep them for when I need them.

I have a brush for the titebond (its a stanley one from B&Q - nearly £2!), I keep it in water when not in use - it will last me a few months usually.

Alf, thanks for this link. The price they want would need to be brought down a lot though, I am not sure I need the thousands that would have to be ordered to get them down to 5 cents!

OK ok, I was out last night washing (or attempting) to wash the glue out a brush. I'd buy some if they were cheap enough :lol: :lol: :p

Adam

At the moment I just use scraps of thin wood to spread the glue. I used to have a couple of small paint brushes but they never got replaced. As James said the glue brushes from Rutlands are ideal, they are on my list when I next order from rutlands.

Would it be possible to make them from loose bristles?? A mates dad used to be a sign writer and did this, but they've moved and I don't have their new number to ask him.

Art shop stockists might know if this is a possibility.

A metal tube with bristles crimped into the end? Roll one end of some bristles in a rubber strip which is "bunged" in the end of a metal tube?

I found the Acid Brushes you mean on brush.com which are indeed 5c each for a gross bundle (144). No mention of shipping costs to this side of the Atlantic but might be worth an e-mail.

There is a brush manufacturer in High Wycombe which I pass on my way home. It might be worth asking such a company if they do them or if they could make some up for you.

Just found this link - make your own brushes with 1/2" nylon rope and lollipop sticks.

AndyP

Thanks everybody for the great replies. I will email the USA supplier and see what they can offer, Meanwhile I love the Indian rope trick! I will definitely give that a go.

I've been using pastry brushes for a couple of years. I bought a pack from Lidl a long time ago. One is used for pastry, the rest for PVA. Flat brushes 25mm (1") wide. No good on poly glue, Is any brush?

Yes, those are exactly the things I need.

I have just orderd 2 gross from the USA supplier mentioned above (brush.com). I will let you know how the order turns out.

Rockler (USA mailorder company) have a pack of 48 disposable glue brushes for $9.99 (£5.52)

I've emailed them asking how much shipping will be and they've come back with this:

Parcel Post Surface $9.47
For a total of $18.46 (about £10)

Parcel Post Air $20.24
For a total of $29.23 (about £16)

This does not include any fees, duties, or taxes that your country may charge.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_de ... m?sku=5813

Hi James

sawdustalley":2h6l4orq said:
I just had a look, found these - only 99p for 6 (So I might order 10 packs)

Its then £3 for delivery - so still cheaper than rutlands (Basically £13 for 60 brushes)

http://www.lainesworld.co.uk/Merchant2/ ... _Code=GLUE

Thanks for the link.

I ordered these on Friday night and received them this morning. They seem to be well worth the money.

Cheers
Neil

EDIT I have just seen the Rutland brushes and they look identical.

Back