Glue Bot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you rate these glue dispensers?
My experience has not been good.
I received a set as a present.
At first I thought they were fine but as time went on I found myself clearing the nozzle more and more as the blue wouldn't come out.
Then the top ceases on the large bottle and I ended up running it under the hot tap to free it, clean it out, dry and replace.
One of the problems is that although the glue is supposed to run back into the main chamber, it leaves a residue in the nozzle at each use which eventually blocks. Even partially blocked means applying a load of pressure to Get anything out.
I'm going back to my trusted brush and pouring a little into a pot.
Anyone found these bots a good buy?
Or can advise what I'm doing wrong before I stick them in the bin?

Tried them years ago but ended up with the same conclusion you have, yoghurt pot & brush much easier

I have the "normal" size and I've had no issues. I do replace the red rubber cap each time and store the glue in +10C.

I've had a lot more issues with the Titebond bottles. The tip gets stuck every time.

I must say my own experience exactly the same as yours Amateur & Doug B.

Gave up with them - no different to washing up liquid bottles, the dispensers most PVA comes in, or anything else. Small open "dish" (microwave meal container), very cheapo "hairy" brush (replaced fairly oftern - after rinsing under the tap doesn't work any more), plus an expired credit card as spreader. Done.

I have the smallest one and I do quite like it.
I find that it helps to keep it topped up between jobs so that the glue does not dry out on the sides inside the bottle and then flake off and block the nozzle. I also squeeze it until the glue almost comes out before I put the cap on that seems to create a bit of a vacuum and keeps the cap on tighter. I also wipe the tip clean of glue before I put the cap on.

Jam jar and brush or palette knife. I do keep topping up a little plastic bottle of glue from Wilkos as it's handy for little jobs when you just want a dab and not to have to wash a brush.

I use a titebond bottle (filled with 502) that has been re-filled many times now, I think it's at least 10 years old. Love that tip style, works very well for me. I made a holder to store the bottle upside down which makes it easier to get the glue out when the bottle is getting low.

I am using empty ketchup/mayonaise bottles, with the rubber triangular seal type thing. So far it works quite well, the rubber seems not to get stuck with glue, maybe because it is flexible. Be careful to remove the mayonaise label, filled with PVA it looks exactly the same!

I've had the large size for around three years and have no issues. I was given some Titebond not long after I bought it and it was the only time I had any 'blocking' issues. I stick (excuse the pun) 502 and every few times I re-fill the Glu-Bot I clean it out with hot water. I've even got spare nozzles and caps when I bought it which are still in the bag.

I have three of these bought as a set and have had the same experience with two that are filled with pva, it is a real pain because each time I go to use it I give it a good squeeze and get nothing so usually take the lid off and reach for a brush. One small bottle I have filled with fish glue and that works well, it has the advantage of being able to put it in a tub of hot water to warm the glue which then flows nicely.

I switched over to a silicon brush, cooking one. If I forget to clean no problem, ìf glue has dried on, it just peels off.
SWMBO still wonders what happened to it!

I like them a lot myself, definitely an improvement in my opinion over just a standard glue bottle, for me worth every penny, but I keep my glue inside at above 10 C probably closer to 20 C and have never had a problem with it.

yellow plastic lid on the spout always splits for me. I end up just using them to dribble mineral oil on sharpening stones, etc.

I’ve got 2 big and 2 small, I've been using them for years they only get dried glue in the tips when I forget to put the caps back on (my oldest has a loose red cap), I do keep them at about full or not under ¾ usually, if there’s ever dried glue in the tip I can usually get it out from the tip with a Brad nail sized piece of wire.

The PVA I get is thick (golden syrup) so I have a full strength and a thinned bottle, I did get spares for them but the only one I’ve needed is a small red rubber cap

I like mine, one for titebond 1 and another for titebond 3.They are the large ones, I have had them for years. I found that I have to clean the little rubber cap out quite often but apart from that they are good. I cut the nozzle off to quite wide which may help.

Ollie

I use mine with titebond 3 and its fine.its a bit runnier than some white pvas . with the thick ones pot and brush work best.

How do you rate these glue dispensers?
My experience has not been good.
I received a set as a present.
At first I thought they were fine but as time went on I found myself clearing the nozzle more and more as the blue wouldn't come out.
Then the top ceases on the large bottle and I ended up running it under the hot tap to free it, clean it out, dry and replace.
One of the problems is that although the glue is supposed to run back into the main chamber, it leaves a residue in the nozzle at each use which eventually blocks. Even partially blocked means applying a load of pressure to Get anything out.
I'm going back to my trusted brush and pouring a little into a pot.
Anyone found these bots a good buy?
Or can advise what I'm doing wrong before I stick them in the bin?
I use a French's mustard bottle and it works great. I love the fact that, if you squeeze, pointing downwards, and then let go, the flow actually stops. So, its really accurate when trying to place glue in a pretty small area. Highly recommend it and the price is cheap as mustard : )

Back