Glue and Teak Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidN

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to glue up some Teak which is very oily is it advisable to
wipe the surface to remove the oil before its glued and if so
what do I use

Advise would be appreciated
Regards
David Nevin

Argee":6drzpt75 said:
Acetone (or cellulose thinners) in a well-ventilated area. Allow to evaporate and apply your glue.

Ray.

Correct.

Just saw a few episodes from NYW in which he used teak and before he did the glue up with a poly glue he used Acetone to wipe down the glue area

McLuma

A cheaper alternative to acetone is brush cleaner from your local Fibreglass suppliers, it is basically reclained acetone and a lot cheaper.

Jason

An even cheaper solution is to freshly sand the joints just before you apply the glue (no, - really it works!!). 120 grit and a light sand and away you go.

I've been given quite a lot of teak and until I experimented (and got some advice from here!!) was getting quite a lot of failures. I find this works really well with polyurethane but haven't yet tried it with PVA.

Gentlemen
Many thanks for you suggestions I now away to try them out will let you know the results >>???
Regards
David Nevin

To follow on from my own advice:

Sanding will of course not work for all joints types. I say this having just finished cutting dovetails for a teak box (well, - Mr Leigh was a great help in this process :D ).

Any sanding stands a chance of affecting the joint fit so I shall be seeking some cellulose thinners (or some brush cleaner) and applying accordingly.

Just out of interest I have tried nail varnish remover (acetone in another guise) in the past but I suspect the additives prevented proper set and there was joint failure.

Latest posts

Back