Glue and heat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordiedod

Reaction score
Hi all I hope you are all well, I'm looking to make a pizza peel for placing pizzas into a gas/ wood oven. The peel will only be under the heat for a couple of seconds at the most hopefully, The oven reaches over 400c. Can anyone recommend a glue suitable for this?

Plus "1/2" for what 'ee said! Sorry, not having a go at you thetyreman, yopu're probably quite right. And I note the OP's post about only staying in the oven for "a few seconds".

BUT some 2-part epoxies (resin and hardener, but there are many different chemical varieties on the market) COULD be affected by heat of 400 deg C if someone forgets the thing is in the oven. Don't KNOW for sure - maybe the wood would start to burn first before a "normal" epoxy became affected, but with food stuff I'd prefer to play extra safe.

There ARE heat resistant epoxies on the market (no idea what the names are, but as used in the a/c industry there's just a ref number is used). But even if you could find such a product in DIY quantities on the market it would no doubt cost an arm and a leg!

So I suggest either:

1. Do a web search for the data sheets for the available epoxy/ies commonly available in small quantities and see if you can find one "rated" for 400 deg, and/or:

2. Before the real thing make up a dummy with your chosen 2 part epoxy and leave it in the oven for, say, 5 minutes, and see what happens. 5 mins as a test should be long enough for even the most forgetful cook?

(And BTW, make sure that the epoxy is fully cured on your dummy before the oven test - depending on what you choose, 24 hours or more may be required for that - again the data sheet will help there).

HTH

Just made one, used food-safe Gorilla wood glue. Only used in oven once so far but no problems. As you say it scarcely gets hot. The central piece (Poplar (tulipwood)) goes all the way to the end of the handle. Two pieces about 12 cm wide are glued on. The maple handle is glued on. The peel is 7.5 mm thick.

This seems fine for a domestic oven, but if you have a huge professional pizza oven, I would want to go for a one piece construction.

Keith

certificates - 1.jpg

Attachments

• certificates - 1.jpg
    certificates - 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 88
"Fahrenheit 451"
When wood is completely dry and is not a type of artificial wood, the combustion temperature is generally 451 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the Argonne National Laboratory. However, there are many variables, such as moisture, oxygen ability and wood density, that come into play.

451 Fahrenheit = 232°C. If the wood doesn't burn, the glue won't, either.

Sounds like it's not a problem here, but most common epoxies soften enough to prise a joint apart at 45C or so. I've done this (cleanup is no fun).

Maybe automotive epoxies like JBWeld are ok at high temperatures.

Trainee neophyte":jr65nms1 said:
"Fahrenheit 451"
When wood is completely dry and is not a type of artificial wood, the combustion temperature is generally 451 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the Argonne National Laboratory. However, there are many variables, such as moisture, oxygen ability and wood density, that come into play.

451 Fahrenheit = 232°C. If the wood doesn't burn, the glue won't, either.

Fahrenheit 451 is a great film as well, highly recommended on blu-ray.

Back