Glue advice needed please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to glue six 2mm thick 30cm long steel rulers to a piece of MRMDF. 2mm deep recesses have been routed into the MDF to allow the rulers to sit flush.
The rulers will be secured only by the glue.
Could anyone tell me please what would be the best glue to use to give a strong permanent bond? Preferably something that's easy to buy locally, i.e. Screwfix, Toolstation, etc. as I need it today if possible.
I have some Araldite Rapid already but not sure if it'll go far enough or if there's a better alternative.

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

No idea what you are making but could you not just use a single 2 Metre length :unsure: as Phil says Almost any epoxy type glue will work OK :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I shall use some epoxy and make sure the metal has had a thorough wipe with thinners first.

The reason I'm using the steel rulers is because I want to add-on and easily remove some things that will be attached to the MDF. These are also made from MDF and I'll be recessing some 10mm x 2mm rare earth magnets into those parts.
A long length of steel probably would have looked a little better, but initially I thought I would only need four rulers. I just happen to come across them locally and at £1.25 each, it was a readily available and cheap option. But, I've actually ended up buying ten of them in total and whilst still very inexpensive, perhaps in hindsight, I might have been better just buying a 3 meter long length of flat steel bar. The rulers will do the job though.

As long as it holds the parts securely, which I think it will if I use enough magnets, function is more important than apperaence.

If it was me, I would use 1mm double sided foam tape....i.e. Georgian bar tape.

Or even double sided carpet tape would do

The mdf would need sealing with some thinned varnish.

Excellent suggestion about using the tape, thanks. I hadn't thought of that and it's something I have plenty of too.

Would a very thin coat of Osmo Hard Wax Oil be suitable to seal the wood before using the tape? I have plenty of that and it would save having to buy varnish specifically.

Back