GluBot replacement gaskets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wend

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I occasionally have to remove the tip of my GluBot to clear out accumulated solidified glue. Each time I do this, I am reminded that there is a little gasket inside the cap which is looking quite sorry for itself. I have a pack of 5 replacement tips sitting waiting to be used, but unfortunately these don't come with replacement gaskets. I've had a look online, but the only place I've been able to find the gaskets for sale is direct from FastCap; the $0.20 price tag for a set doesn't seem too bad, but the shipping makes it a non-starter.

So I wonder whether anyone knows of anyone in the UK who might sell me a pack of 5 or 10 please? Or alternatively, is there a generic product that would do instead? And if so, I don't suppose anyone happens to know what sizes would work best please?

Thanks
Wend

I've just checked my pack of spares. Everything except spare gaskets? I have just put an M12 rubber washer from my plumbers bag in and in my initial trial it seems to work. I'll update after a proper glue-up trial over the next couple of days.

Gary

Thanks all! I'll keep an eye on the website, but I've made a note to try M12 rubber washers if that doesn't work out.
Yesterday, I found that the yellow cap kept coming lose when I pressed hard on the bottle. I think the washer is too thick (around 1.2mm). By lunch time I took it off and I've been using it since with no gasket and with no problems even after two bouts of segmenting glue-ups. I'm now wondering if to bother chasing up a replacement gasket. I'll continue using it without and if it causes a problem. If it does I do have the one I took off to try the washer to put back on.

Any chance of dimensions of the original gasket i.e overall dia, hole dia, thickness, material which may help in finding something to suit? Is it a flat gasket or an o-ring?

I've just measured the slightly distorted original gasket which is similar to the rubber washer not including the thickness. 20mm OD x 12.5mm ID and .9 mm thickness. The washer I tried was an M12 same OD and ID but 1.2mm thick. I know that doesn't seem much but there's not a lot of rigid thread on the soft plastic bottle to enable the hard plastic cap to be screwed tight and compress the washer. Just finished day two of using it without the gasket and still see no problems as yet.

An update. I just re-filled my GluBot bottle and remembered this post. Since the end of January I've been using it without the gasket behind the tip. I'm guessing I've re-filled it around four times since then and I have not noticed any difference. No leakage, it's just as easy to remove the cap and glue hasn't deteriorated. So I would question if it's required at all or am I just lucky so far.

An update. I just re-filled my GluBot bottle and remembered this post. Since the end of January I've been using it without the gasket behind the tip. I'm guessing I've re-filled it around four times since then and I have not noticed any difference. No leakage, it's just as easy to remove the cap and glue hasn't deteriorated. So I would question if it's required at all or am I just lucky so far.
From other posts, silcone seems to be the 'in thing' for easy glue removal. If you can find a silicon gasket that might be ideal.

From other posts, silcone seems to be the 'in thing' for easy glue removal. If you can find a silicon gasket that might be ideal.
I've got some silicone basting brushes and a couple of silicone pots for mixing UF glue. It's great stuff but I don't think I'm going to bother replacing the gasket if I don't need to. As for the GluBot I would put it on Object 101.

I've got some silicone basting brushes and a couple of silicone pots for mixing UF glue. It's great stuff but I don't think I'm going to bother replacing the gasket if I don't need to. As for the GluBot I would put it on Object 101.
Should I take that as a positive review or negative?

Ordered 'glubot' and glue roller, arrived today.
Spares kit has a spare gasket.
Not wide, but I'm really impressed with the roller build / design!

@Peter Sefton Please let them know, their packaging is way OTT! 8 seperate plastic bags, one needed! So much for the green planet?

I think I and the original poster Wend were surprised there was only one spare gasket with the kit. But, so far, I've been using it without the gasket just fine. I picked my GluBot up from the Makers Central exhibition for a tenner with a spares kit. I'll look for the roller attachment this year.

@kinverkid - I guess if you're careful not to get glue near the large opening, it should be OK, and
I can't see any reason why you would, unless the bottle was full to the brim?
------------
<thinks> If silicone is 'glue resistant'... a thin bead of sealant in the channel where the gasket goes?
;-)

Ahh! I think that would work but it's the small washer type gasket from the pouring nozzle that I've been doing without. I still use the large one at the filler cap and still have a spare too. That filler cap needs it. If the cap isn't sealed properly then the concept of the bottle won't work. It just doesn't seem to be important for the pouring nozzle. I bet silicone or even a light rub around with petroleum jelly would make it slightly easier to remove the filler cap after it's been crusted with PVA. Might give it a go.

Gary

Ordered 'glubot' and glue roller, arrived today.
Not wide, but I'm really impressed with the roller build / design!

@Peter Sefton Please let them know, their packaging is way OTT! 8 seperate plastic bags, one needed! So much for the green planet?

Sorry @pe2dave we try and be green when it comes to packing, I have invested in cardboard shredders and paper tapers to reduce our use of plastics. Many of the products are supplied pre bagged but this does sound excessive, could you PM me your order number and I will look into it. We have had a couple of new members of staff on trial this past week in the packing department, it will be interesting to know if it was one of them or worrying if not!

Was it this new glue roller? I like the design.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/sili-roller-and-glue-tray/
Cheers

Peter

Back