gloves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember snodgrass mentioned some good gloves for finishing a while ago but I can't find the post, this time I'll bookmark it.

can anyone recommend some decent throwaway type gloves?

I use black vinyl disposable gloves, from most anywhere. make sure you get a LOOSE size, and you can reuse them a couple of times to save costs.
But I bought a bulk quantity from ebay and they were rubbish, most split as I tried to put my hand in, so avoid any super cheap quantity purchases.
I buy boxes of a 100 and apart from when using shellac (the meths melts the fingers together) I can get two or even three uses from a single pair making them very economical.

Hmmmm, looks like I didnt know the correct name for what I use.
I just pick them off the shelf, but it certainly looks like I have nitrile gloves, sorry.

thetyreman":dnznmdmy said:
I remember snodgrass mentioned some good gloves for finishing a while ago but I can't find the post, this time I'll bookmark it.

I believe that they were these. I made a note to get some when my box runs out. They are available cheaper elsewhere but Toolstation is free postage.

https://www.toolstation.com/black-mamba ... ves/p16577

thetyreman":lxy4ybzi said:
What solvents you need them to withstand?

If it's just meths and white spirit then vinyl will do you and you can pick those up anywhere. Even a pound shop might have some, that's where I got my last box of 100 (Bettina). I can get around four or five wears out of each pair when used for applying wiping varnish or similar.

Nitrile is almost always given as the bee's knees (as above) and they may be, but in case you think vinyl's just not up to it see post #1267192 from mrpercysnodgrass in a previous thread: gloves-t115776.htm

marcros":2plsvrnr said:
thetyreman":2plsvrnr said:

I believe that they were these. I made a note to get some when my box runs out. They are available cheaper elsewhere but Toolstation is free postage.

https://www.toolstation.com/black-mamba ... ves/p16577

An old thread but a test of the gloves. We picked a couple of pounds of blackberries tonight before having a picnic. I wore a pair of these to keep my hands clean, and despite being in amongst the thorns, no tears at all. Top marks.

The cheap blue ones have torn putting them on in the past.

Euro car parts have a good selection of nitrile gloves and sizes plus they're always having %off codes
I got some of the blue ones, no idea what make and they are quite tuff

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I don't use them often, but I've recently finished a box I've had for donkeys' years. I forget the brand, which is a pity, because I've bought a box from Toolstation and they are not a patch on the old ones. My fingers go through them just putting them on. I'm seriously tempted to take them back. Never again, and generally I like Toolstation. But not for these.

My son who works on plant and machinery gave me a box of Jefferson Gecko Grip gloves, nitrile and powder free. Good grip, tough and don’t rip easily. Best disposable gloves I have used so far. He got them at a motor factors, but they are available on eBay.

Back