• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Gloss Finish on a Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
My late father left his prized watch to my youngest son. My father bought the watch in 1941 with his first ever pay packet from the RAF and he kept it in perfect condition and working order ever since! Rather than just giving it to my son I thought I would make a watch box with the watch brand logo in brass inlaid into the lid. I have purchased a board of 10mm Wenge for the box and a board of 3mm Sycamore for the insert/lining. I was thinking of covering the box with clear epoxy resin but maybe this isn’t the best solution. Can anyone please suggest a way to create a clear gloss coating that will seal the whole box and brass inlay etc? I really don’t want to invest in sprayers/compressor as I would have no further use for these.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Epoxy would do that, but it’s a bit of a cheap look. Oil onto wenge would be better and that brass will tarnish but if you want a material not to tarnish, brass isn’t it, plastic coating works but then you’re back to shiny overcoats

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with The Tiddles about epoxy or thick polyurethane looking a bit cheap. Maybe nitrocellulose if you can still get it in a spray can? still maybe too shiny.
The finest finish for this type of thing is probably pale Shellac but its a bit labour intensive to build it up nicely. I like to build it up pretty thick and then flat it back with really fine wet and dry paper for a deep satin but it takes flippin ages.
Wenge is really open grained so you will probably need some level of sanding sealer to fill the pores whatever you do and sycamore can yellow a lot with certain finishes.
Experiment on offcuts.

I might be inclined to oil it and let the brass patina.

Ollie

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. When you say ‘oil’ I would normally use Osmo Polyx but have only really used satin on oak. I note they also do a ‘glossy’ - would that work? Brass patina would be acceptable.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
A hard wax oil would be one option, or liberon finishing oil etc…
F06F8054-4378-4CA9-BD03-8CC2C8136EE0.jpeg
09138F3A-D6E4-40C0-84EB-F4CCB56C150E.jpeg

I think this was shellac then wax, but ebony and walnut are closed grain so more suitable for that.