Gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have a gloat from something that is neither bought, given nor scavenged? If so than I would like to claim a major gloat as I was invited to sit in THAT rocking chair yesterday afternoon. The photos do not do it justice and cannot convey the comfort, even for my 6'2" frame. It also appeared somewhat larger than I had imagined which led me to think not only about the new tools, skills and larger workshop that I would require before attempting such a project but also the larger house I would need to accommodate it.

In a few years time when my daughters tell me that they are off to visit someone that they met on the internet I will have to remember the welcome I received from waterhead37 and his wife yesterday on an oh to brief a visit. Thanks again Chris.

I can also report that the box with the "near impossible" joints is also not a myth nor product of clever photography. Any thoughts that I harboured about the opportunity for sloppy DT's being hidden by the mitres were dispelled when it took Chris at least 3 blows from a mallet to pull the dry fitted joint apart. A true masterpiece in the making.

Your workshop & projects could so easily fill me with despair (how on earth could I ever achieve anything like that). Instead I came away inspired. It will be a few years before I can dedicate enough time
or resources to match what I saw yesterday but one has to have dreams and something to work towards & you certainly provided that.

Chris I hope you will make it down to my humble abode in the not too distant future.

Andy

Andy

I think that qualifies as a quality gloat :p

Cheers

Tony

Who,s not jealosu at all!

Andy,

Yep, that's a gloat. We're not jealous. Nope. I expect you got to drool over all those nice tools too eh? Like Tony says, not jealous at all...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Andy,

You are very (I almost said too :) ) kind with your words! In any event, it was great to meet you and a pleasure to discover just how near neighbours we are. I shall certainly pay a return visit in the near future!

oh damn...: every time I feel I have grasped the inner meaning of the term "gloat"... somebody comes and put it somewhere else !

Could some of you children of the perfide Albion explain it to me once and for all ?

Grazie :D !
Alberto

P.S.
I wanted to look at THAT rocking chair once again but... it seems it has been ... scavenged from the web by some jealous leprechaun !

Alberto,
Chris has had his domain name stolen hince the absence of his website & photos. You can see similar chairs by the chap who produced the plans here http://www.haltaylor.com.

As for the definition of the word gloat - To feel or express great, often malicious, pleasure or self-satisfaction.

AndyP

mantrakalas":1rzwiusa said:
Could some of you children of the perfide Albion explain it to me once and for all ?
"Perfidious Albion"? Ah, the good old days... :wink:

Sorry, Alberto. A gloat. Well, er, it's a bit of a movable definition really, depending on where you're reading it. Round here it seems to cover just about anything that someone else will be jealous of. That covers virtually anything really, as personally anyone who can claim half an hour of workshop times brings out the green-eyed monster in me...

Cheers, Alf

Alf":vuhfbib9 said:
"Perfidious Albion"? Ah, the good old days...

by the way, wasn't the French who coined this expression ?

Thank you for your definition of a gloat: must be very similar to what I feel when I see a WW's shop larger than four square meters :twisted: !

Cheers
Alberto

mantrakalas":1rezxsu5 said:
Alf":1rezxsu5 said:
"Perfidious Albion"? Ah, the good old days...

by the way, wasn't the French who coined this expression ?
Yes, I believe so. I always think of Le Monitor using it during the Napoleonic Wars, but whether it pre-dates then I'm not certain. Hmm... Got a mental image of that Gillray cartoon of Boney and Pitt carving up the world between them now. Ah joy, I've managed to go sufficiently off-topic to mention Gillray. My day is complete. :D

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back