Gloat enclosed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I haven't been able to gloat for a while but here's a good one. Below are some pictures of a saw that MikeW just wrapped up for me. I can't to make some cuts with this beauty!

The specs are as follows:
14" blade, 3-1/2" depth of cut
10ppi filed rip
a glorious cocobolo handle

db_0001.jpg

db_0002.jpg

Cheers!

Dave

That is one good looking saw. I particularly like the subtle updating of the handle's traditional pattern. Looks really comfortable. And I think you're right to go for a rip tooth, it's much more versatile than most people think.

I'm envious, plain and simple!

Regards.

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

Just so no one thinks I was too original, the handle above, aside from the wood selection, is a slight variation from the Disston No. 9 backsaw handle.

So kudos for the design go to the people who labored over it 100 years or more ago. It is a very comfortable handle in use.

Take care, Mike

Great gloat Dave! =D>
Mike-you are a talented chap!
Hope that's the same plank of Coco as mine? :whistle:
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":1egf6a7g said:
Great gloat Dave! =D>
Cheers
Thanks to you and Chris for the kind words.

And yeppers, Philly. Though that black streak sits a tad lower.

It's all done now too. Last of the finish was applied yesterday. Blade is sharp, test cuts nicely. I need to assemble it, take pics, package it and get it weighed.

Take care, Mike

pe_0005.jpg

Thanks, BB and Kevin!

BB, the handle is a Harvey Peace design from a panel saw they produced in the mid-late 1800s. Very comfortable.

The Peace saws are one of my favorite designs to emulate.

Take care, Mike

MikeW":2wh4i8ys said:
Philly":2wh4i8ys said:
Great gloat Dave! =D>
Cheers
Thanks to you and Chris for the kind words.

And yeppers, Philly. Though that black streak sits a tad lower.

It's all done now too. Last of the finish was applied yesterday. Blade is sharp, test cuts nicely. I need to assemble it, take pics, package it and get it weighed.

Take care, Mike

pe_0005.jpg

WooHoo!!
Looks great, Mike. And I look forward to seeing it in the flesh!
Philly :tool:

jeez mike now i will have to learn how to cut with a european style saw again, having spent the last couple of years learning japanese, because of
my small workshop space.

nice saws, good work, and as you say, experience in handles is the thing to go for, and 100 year old experience still seems to be the best

all the best
paul

engineer one":3aaf8id7 said:
nice saws, good work, and as you say, experience in handles is the thing to go for, and 100 year old experience still seems to be the best

all the best
paul

Mike's not that old, is he? :-k

are you sure that's not what he said????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

as usual i was referring to his comments about the design of the handles
i think
maybe he only thinks he is that old :D :D :D

paul :wink:

Mike :tongue9: =D> some one pinch me ( I did not think they where made like that any more ) :wink:
To all that is getting one of these gems :mrgreen:

Back