Glazing with Butyl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys - I’ve just started glazing all our windows now with butyl66 from hodgesons. Much prefer it over low mod silicone due to its ability to be instantly cleaned.

Question - is there a tool for application anywhere? Like a butyl gun or something. We are using 10kg tubs and applying it by hand which seems a bit primitive. And I don’t like eating through endless tubes due to cost and the fact it’s not very eco friendly.

I’m thinking of something like a mortar gun or similar.

Any thoughts?

Louis

I tried the tape and didn’t really get along with it. Couldn’t get it to stick very well. But it was still very cold. Difficult to bed onto as it’s already pretty flat.

You should try it in hot weather, it gets too sticky, it's like chewing gum!

It is flat so all your rebates need to be in line, also for this reason it's not great for replacement units where you have had to hack out the original one.

The stuff in tubes is generally super sticky with great big threads coming off as you lift the nozzle away from your joint.
There is a knack of putting tubbed stuff on with the ball of your hand and the thumb. The tubs are different recipe IME. I doubt you could squeeze it out of a Barrel gun even if you could load it.

Stick with the tubs, it's a bit messy but you have more control and no waste. On a couple of refurbs, workshop build and jobs for "friends" I probably fitted 300+ double glazed units about 20 years ago. On some of these I used the tape and just ran butyl putty on the top edge to improve the look and stop water sitting. Some said glazing like this into wood [thoroughly primed] would lead to the units breaking down. I've had 2 do this, so not bad on the quantity and time scale.

Colin

Butyl mastic tape is very temperature sensitive. If its cold there is no way you will get adequate compression on a wide flat bead. Keep it somewhere warm in the winter. Hodgesons also do round beads which are easier to compress but may not fill the gap fully leaving a water trap

Interesting that the tubed stuff is sticky. Sounds like you couldn’t do an instant clean up after which is the main benefit IMO.

I don’t believe butyl is only for single glazing. We follow the hodgeson instructions. We bed the glass in with butyl, fill the void around the glass with low mod silicone and then front it with traditional putty.

I think we’ll stick with the buckets for now. It’s really doesn’t cost that much to have an apprentice applying by hand. I just thought there should be a quicker way or faster way. Gets me thinking - gap in the market......

Latest posts

Back