glasses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
I have reached that time in my life when the waist line expands and the eyesight goes long.

As such I have now got a pair of reading glasses. It has become apparent that these reading glasses must also be used for doing my work (joinery), wood turning etc. Problem is I cannot keep putting them on for close work then taking them off for looking at normal range and distance. To be honest it is a pain in the butt.

Does anyone out there suffer the same problem with glasses and is there a practical solution ?

Yes I do have a piece of string so they dangle, but this is a little dangerous when using a bench saw etc.

any other ideas?

Regards

Sue Denim

I bought a pair of 'off the shelf' magnifying glasses to use in the workshop. Not as strong as my reading glasses but good enough to see most stuff that would otherwise be blurry, and cheap too, so if they're damaged it won't hurt my pocket. I tend to keep them on all the time in the workshop and only swap them for more powerful glasses to see small markings etc.

Sue

Cheap option would be bi-focal safety glasses (they are readily available and only cost about £12), assuming you don't yet need a vastly different prescription for each eye and can get buy with a ready reader type magnification.

This was the route I took until I needed a distance prescription and then went to safety glases with a varifocal lense. If your mid and distant vision is ok just get bi-focal safety specs made with your prescription in the lower section and clear above, saves the dangerous dangly option you've outlined.

Regards

Richard

Contact Lenses!

I've been a contact lens wearer most of my adult life. I started with hard ones, which had to be sterilised etc and then graduated to daily disposables which, obviously, eliminate the need for cleaning etc.

Nowadays you can get bi-focal contact lenses which would cover distance and reading.

They're better than glasses in that they don't get covered in dust and you have better peripheral vision and, if you choose, you can wear normal safety specs.

Good luck,

Thanks for the assistance. I don't think contacts are the way to go as I only require the glasses for close work.

If you could let me know where I could obtain some safety glasses with a magnifying bit at the bottom that would be great.

I think this may be the answer especially as the other half doesn't like the half moon option....makes me look old apparently.

Thanks again

Sue Denim

Another vote for daily disposable contact lenses - have been wearing contacts for 25 years and the ability to wear normal safety glasses is great. I'm short sighted without my contacts and whilst they are not bi-focal i can see long and short with no problems and no taking glasses on and off all the time.

Rog

Sue

Sorry another vote for contact lenses. I only need glasses for reading but ride a motorbike as part of my work so glasses are just not practicle with a crash helmet.

I never thought I would get on with them but they are fantastic.

It sounds odd but one eye is for seeing and the other is for reading, get used to it very quickly.

Specsavers give you a free months trial so even if you don't eventually get them you have not lost anything.

Mick

I've recently encountered the same problem, a real pain taking them off and putting them on repeatedly, and string is not an option in the workshop.

My solution was simply to perch the glasses on the end of my nose for close work and look over the top to look further.
Not ideal I know, but the best compromise i could achieve at work.

Same solution as scouse, been wearing them for about 5 years and never (touch wood) broke a pair.
I have a an open topped box in the top pocket of my overall that I can pop them in when not needed as they get squished otherwise.
When using machinery I wear a flip front screen as I cant get goggles over them comfortably
Chunko'

Tip of the nose it is then..until I can find some safety / reading glasses

As for the contact lens vote..........How does it work when I only need them for close up work and not far sight ?
Don't tell me they do a variable focus contact lens !

Back