glass table top support?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
What would be the best way of stopping a large oval glass top from sliding off of the 4 legs that support it?
Silicone or rubber pads?
just silicone it to the wood?
any other options please.

Glass Top Suction Pads

Such as These
s-l640.jpg

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 200
Click on the ' such as these' part in Chas's reply. I just searched on ebay
db9589320e34787db111f12e20577387.jpg

Then realised he'd posted a link.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I didnt see the first link, I've mentioned on several occasions I cant easily see the faded blue used a lot on this site.

I would prefer something that was invisible looking down through the glass top, but if all else fails, this might be the answer. i dont really want to fix the top permanently.
Thanks.

Bob
How about making your own silicone pads out of total clear polymer silicone....make a small sheet of the stuff up and then cut to correct size.
Ive used it to join glass...its clear.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

No. the glass will rest on 4 bubinga legs. I need clear. I wondered about just resting it on, but that worries me cos the glass is 1.5 m x 0.75 m.

I've used self-adhesive, clear glass "bumpers" before, It's surprising how well they hold the glass from slipping for just being 4 pieces of round rubber.

You buy them in a variety of sizes in sheets off amazon and the like but not sure where'd you find them in Cyprus.

Bob, I've never made a sheet myself.....but its what I would do in your situation......a waxed piece of melanine with a couple of 3mm formers to make up the thickness of the the sheet, the squeeze out the polymer between the formers and then trowel it out with soapy water.....when dry remove and cut to size...

sunnybob":192ws07h said:
I didnt see the first link, I've mentioned on several occasions I cant easily see the faded blue used a lot on this site.

Lurching off topic for a moment in an attempt to be helpful... That blue colour isn't set by the site - it's the default colour for an unvisited link settable by you, in your browser. You can adjust it to whatever suits you, your display, your eyesight, your lighting conditions.

Exactly how to change it will depend on what you are using (Firefox, Safari, Edge, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera etc) but if you look in the Settings or Options menu you should find settings for Appearance which will include Colours. If you get stuck, start a new thread in General Chat and I'm sure some of the really helpful proper tech guys on here will talk you through it.

Andy
Thanks for the tips.
I use opera.
I've just found lots of options I didnt know I had.
But I am a complete failure with computer software and couldnt find anything like Appearances. Maybe its because I am using an old laptop running vista.
My only colour problem is with the paler shades of blue, in my eyes it turns to grey / light black and i just dont notice the link.

Jonathan S":2pwy4305 said:
Bob
How about making your own silicone pads out of total clear polymer silicone....make a small sheet of the stuff up and then cut to correct size.
Ive used it to join glass...its clear.

Jonathan

I used to make aquariums, clear silicone is no stranger to me :lol: :lol:
I had a play yesterday with some grey silicone as it was all I had.
Got a very pleasing 4 mm thick sheet. =D> =D> =D>

But the grey shows too much through the glass so i've been out and bought some clear sanitary sealant and am waiting till the morning to see the result.

hot glue.

seriously.
form a bead round the top of your leg, let it cool. place glass on top. acts like silicone, stops it moving about. doesn't take for ever to dry, isn't fixed in place but has enough stiction.

also, adds another use for hot glue. :)

My hot glue doesnt dry clear. Its a milky grey. If the clear silicone doesnt work i might give it a try.

your silicone is going to look the same. :)

you can buy (although I think perhaps not in Cyprus) crystal clear hot glue if it's any help.

Latest posts

Back