Glass fronted bookcase advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Well, I'm taking the plunge and going to make a second in-the-house project (rather than nice jigs and workshop chests of drawers and so on).

I'd like to make a bookcase (as we are overflowing with books and there's an alcove at the top of the stairs that it would go in. My wife has requested glass doors (to keep the dust out).

So, firstly, any plans you'd recommend that I could adapt? I was thinking either beech or cherry with an inlaid border if I get brave.
Secondly, any general advice? Especially about framing/mounting the glass.

Thanks for the advice; I promise pictures, even if it crashes and burns!

That's a really open ended question. The nice thing is that it can be as simple or complex as you want to make it.

Whatever the style though, you'll have a choice between making a frame and panel door where the panel is glass, or else unframed sliding doors running in grooves.
You'll want the glass to be at least toughened. This could be to order from a glass shop. Or a possible other option would be to buy glass doors from one of Ikea's storage ranges, just as a source of cheap materials, then adapt them to suit.

Toughened glass has to be ordered and takes time to arrive. Laminated glass is normally cut while you wait. If toughened glass is broken it shatters into tiny pieces were as laminated cracks but remains in place.

Deadeye":1z9yg0u6 said:
Hello

Well, I'm taking the plunge and going to make a second in-the-house project (rather than nice jigs and workshop chests of drawers and so on).

I'd like to make a bookcase (as we are overflowing with books and there's an alcove at the top of the stairs that it would go in. My wife has requested glass doors (to keep the dust out).

So, firstly, any plans you'd recommend that I could adapt? I was thinking either beech or cherry with an inlaid border if I get brave.
Secondly, any general advice? Especially about framing/mounting the glass.

Thanks for the advice; I promise pictures, even if it crashes and burns!

I'm in the final stages of finishing one of these:

IMG_2991.jpg

...and I'm just awaiting the veneered back panels in the post. As you can see, this one is pretty big (the internal shelf is a metre long) and is meant to hold some large photograph albums that are 33cm sq. I've gone for sliding glass doors, each of which will have a ground finger pull, which means you haven't got to faff around with making door frames. The plastic track for the glass sits in a groove top and bottom and at one time, all the sheds used to sell it but it appears to be no longer the case; I bought mine from Carlisle Glass in 2m lengths. There's a centre shelf which will sit on solid brass supports and I used the Sagulator to work out the loading for a minimum bend when fully loaded with heavy, 'coffee table' type books. The internal surfaces have been finished with a couple of coats of Satin OsmoPolyX but the outside has only been sanded to about 120g so far. If you're going for sliding glass doors, you need to ensure that the cabinet sides are dead true or they won't butt properly against them - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2991.jpg
    IMG_2991.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 115
As others have said the question is a bit open without confirming whether you want hinged or sliding doors, with or without timber frames etc. Perhaps post a pic of something you like and we can offer advice for specific aspects of the design that might cause headaches. A point to note is that cherry is very easily affected by sunlight so should be kept covered up as much as possible during manufacturing. Once it’s made then obviously it will change colour as a piece.

Thanks everyone! Brilliant help as always.
I hadn't thought of sliding glass (Doh!) and, whilst it's seductively simpler, ours is an Edwardian house, so I think framed will be the way to go (although current furniture is something of a mish mash). Also, I'm using everything I make as a learning step (hence the inlay idea).
What's a nice pin stripe on beech?

Barrister book cases? I made 13 glazed units and matching drawer units, a cupboard and a TV/Video unit a couple of years back.
When it came to the glass, it was cheapest from a glasgow glaziers who delivered it in their own transport to me near Southampton. Crazy but true!

Back